Cool off with cod
Tags: ATLANTIC cod fishing
- Cod crisis forces Canada to curb fishing. MacKenzie, D. // New Scientist;3/7/92, Vol. 133 Issue 1811, p8
Reveals that Canada has curbed fishing of cod off Newfoundland due to dangerously low stocks of the fish. Canada blames the crisis on overfishing by European vessels; Critics say Canada has been taking too much cod; Amount of cod Canadian fishermen had been allowed.
- Valley of the giants. Rivlin, Michael // Salt Water Sportsman;Jun95, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p58
Focuses on cod and pollock fishing in the Georges Bank and Nantucket Shoals in the North Atlantic Region. Fish hunting over deep-water wrecks; Party boats fishing in the Northeast wrecks; Fishing aboard the boats `Starship' and `Yankee Capts.'; Pollock and cod rigs.
- In old fishing city, catch of the day is no longer for sale. Jonsson, Patrik // Christian Science Monitor;11/28/2001, Vol. 94 Issue 4, p2
Discusses the decline of the cod and fishing industry, in light of how fishmongers can no longer buy wares on the docks in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- The last fish. Pollack, Susan // Sierra;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 80 Issue 4, p48
Reports on the collapse of the cod-fishing industry in Canada. Newfoundland-based cod-fisher and activist Bernard Martin's comments; Causes of the industry's collapse; Government policy as part of the problem. INSETS: Is New England next?.;Time to fish or cut bait..
- CLOSER TO COD. Migdalski, Tom // Salt Water Sportsman;May2005, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p104
Provides information on several cod fishing methods.
- The lost cod: What happened?. Moore, Christopher // Beaver;Dec93/Jan94, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p54
Examines the nearly total disappearance of the cod from Canada's east coast fishing banks. Harshest blow on the fishing communities of Newfoundland; Accusations of over-fishing; Marine scientists pointing to the massive change in ocean climate; Historical records showing cod depopulations in...
- Cautious optimism for cod. // Canadian Geographic;Dec2011, Vol. 131 Issue 6, p33
The article presents information related to the moratorium on fishing Atlantic cod in Canada.
- North Sea cod on the brink of collapse. Pearce, Fred // New Scientist;02/08/97, Vol. 153 Issue 2068, p6
Cites a warning issued by Robin Cook and colleagues at the Scottish Office's Marine Laboratory in Aberdeen in their paper published in a February 1997 issue of `Nature,' concerning the effect of overfishing on the cod stocks in the North Sea. Exploitation rates for cod fish in the North Sea;...
- Fischler may relent on cod ban. // Food Manufacture;Dec2002, Vol. 77 Issue 12, p10
Reports that the European Commission is examining alternatives to a proposed complete ban on cod fishing in the North Sea. British fishing industry's claims that the ban could shut it down; Implications of an outright ban on the fishing industry.