Measuring the Efficiency of Tax-Favored Investments
- Smart Investing Can Shave Your Tax Bill. Baumer, Dick // DollarSense;Summer2000, p15
Focuses on the importance of investment for income tax deductions. Determination of taxable investment; Subscriptions to investment-related publications or services; Calculation of deduction for miscellaneous itemized expenses.
- Cutting edge. Dixon, Daryl // Bulletin with Newsweek;6/17/2003, Vol. 121 Issue 6377, p62
Superannuation industry demands for a reduction in the super contributions tax have been ignored in favor of direct tax deductions. Further, by increasing the low-income tax offset by $85 to $235 a year and extending the ceiling of the lowest 17 percent tax bracket from $20,000 to $21,600, the...
- Minimising Deductions on Investment Income. Dodds, John // Chartered Accountants Journal;Oct98, Vol. 77 Issue 9, p21
Determines the ways on how to maximize returns and minimize income tax liability on investments. Categories of expense deductibility; Direct expenses of companies; Determining whether interest is deductible.
- Stress-Free Financial Fixes. Costa, Anthony // Best Life;Feb2009, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p30
This article offers tips on financial planning. Thirty-three U.S. states provide an income-tax deduction or credit to residents who set up 529 college savings plans. Financial planner Gary Schatsky recommends selling off underperforming stocks or using cash balances to pay down debts. A guy who...
- Tax time is the perfect time to start to begin financial planning. Myers, Melissa; Tucker, Michael // Echo Magazine;12/29/2005, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p59
Talks about financial planning. Frequency of reviewing the diversification and performance of investments; Deduction of individual retirement account contributions on income tax returns; List of options for employer-sponsored retirement accounts.
- What you keep matters more than what you earn. Wagner, Rich // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;11/19/2012, Vol. 42 Issue 16, p24
The article discusses how a pensions plan can reduce one's taxable income in the U.S. It mentions the various ways an income is taxed. It explains how a standard defined contribution plan works and how to get a larger tax deduction. A sample computation of tax savings from pension plans is...
- HMRC-approved Guernsey Qrops fall by 300 following clamp down. Selby, Tom // Money Marketing (Online Edition);4/12/2012, p4
The article reports that following April 6, 2012 clamp down by the Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on overseas pension schemes, the number of Guernsey, Channel Islands-based Qualifying Recognized Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS) providers on HMRC's approved list has fallen from around...
- Claiming an immediate tax deduction on rental property improvements. Freeman, Peter // Money (Australia Edition);Sep2008, Issue 105, p48
The article offers a guide to claiming an immediate tax deduction on rental property improvements in Australia. Under the tax office rules only the cost of genuine repairs can be deducted in full in the year in which they were incurred. Replacing a cupboard door or a benchtop damaged by your...
- Charitable remainder trust: A powerful financial planning tool. Phillips, Lawrence C.; Robinson, Thomas R. // Journal of Financial Planning;Aug1997, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p70
This article discusses the use of a charitable remainder trust (CRT) as a tool to achieve financial planning objectives. A charitable contribution income tax deduction is allowed for qualifying transfers to charitable organizations, or an estate tax deduction is allowed if property is...