- Gaza/West Bank. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;12/06/96, Vol. 40 Issue 49, p17
Presents news briefs related to politics and government in the Gaza Strip and West Bank, as of December 6, 1996. Includes Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's remarks on any declaration of statehood by the Palestinian National Authority; Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's meeting with...
- Liberalism in a body bag: The foundering of the Middle... Foster, Charles // Contemporary Review;Jun97, Vol. 270 Issue 1577, p300
Deals with the Palestinian politics and sovereignty. Palestine's conflict with Israel concerning sovereignty; Transfer of West Bank land to Palestine control; Why the Israeli left wing become disappointed with Arafat.
- Gaza/West Bank. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;08/14/98, Vol. 42 Issue 33, p28
Announces the cabinet reorganization by Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, on August 5, 1998. Reference to Education Minister Yasser Amr, who was dismissed; Details on other changes made to the cabinet; Appointment of an additional ten ministers; Aim of these appointments.
- Palestinians Differ on Desirability of Statehood, But Not on Need for Independence From Israel. Slaney, Christopher // Washington Report on Middle East Affairs;Oct/Nov2000, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p9
Reports that the Palestine Central Committee has voted to declare the country as an independent state. Effect of the failure of the peace negotiation with the Israel government; Supporters of the decision; Advantages of the effort to the government.
- In Arafat's kingdom. Haetzni, Nadev // Commentary;Oct96, Vol. 102 Issue 4, p42
Opinion. Explores the role of Palestinian Liberation Organization leader Yasir Arafat in the continued conflict in the Palestinian government. Arafat's suspiciousness on order and the system; Progress of the peace process between Palestine and Israel; Concerns on the lack of justice in the...
- Politics for laughs in Palestinian play. Battersby, John // Christian Science Monitor;1/19/96, Vol. 88 Issue 37, p6
Reports on the Palestinian play `Democratic by Force,' and the humorous effect it has on Palestinians, as they prepare to vote in the first self-rule elections on January 20th 1996. What the play is about; Who wrote it; Information on emergence of satirical plays; Star of play; Hope for...
- Big vote in UN raises Palestinian status. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;07/17/98, Vol. 42 Issue 29, p18
Reports that in a move approved by the Palestinians in their goal to achieve nationhood, the United Nations (UN) General Assembly has upgraded the status of the Palestinian UN representative. Purpose of this move from the UN; Date on which the General Assembly voted; In-depth look at the meeting.
- Prodigal sums. Usher, Graham // New Statesman & Society;7/15/94, Vol. 7 Issue 311, p20
Focuses on the return of Palestinian leader Yasir Arafat and the establishment of the Palestinian Authority. Primary motive for Arafat's return; Remarks in the Jabalyia camp in Gaza; Impasse with international donors on the vision of self-rule; Reactions by Palestinians.
- Rivals Arafat and Hamas edge toward partnership. Prusher, Ilene R. // Christian Science Monitor;3/27/97, Vol. 89 Issue 84, p6
Focuses on the leadership of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, and his difficulty in governing insurgents while talking peace with Israel. Invitation of Muslims into the politics of Palestine; Other actions taken by Arafat which point to leniency; How his actions have been viewed by Israel.