- HealthSouth case offers lessons. // Same-Day Surgery;Feb2008, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p16
The article focuses on the report of the Department of Justice (DOJ) which reveals the move of the HealthSouth Corp. and two physicians to pay $14.9 million for the settlement of allegations on the grant of illegal kickbacks to physicians in the U.S.
- Out of court settlements. Nathan, Bruce // Business Credit;Mar1998, Vol. 100 Issue 3, p8
Provides information on the issue of out of court settlements. Information on the advantages and disadvantages of this kind of settlement; Detailed information on the mechanics of this kind of settlement; Indepth look at the use of Chapter 11 to bind recalcitrant non-accepting creditors.
- Landmark voluntary mediation program for Lanham Act cases... Rzonca, Lynn // Corporate Legal Times;Apr97, Vol. 7 Issue 65, p50
Reports that all Lanham Act cases filed in the Northern District of Illinois are eligible for a court-annexed mediation program, effective January 6th, 1997. How the program works; Requirements of the mediation program; How persons can become mediators; Number of mediators.
- The justification of `justice': Legal practitioners' accounts of negotiated case settlements in... Mulcahy, Aogan // British Journal of Criminology;Autumn94, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p411
Examines legal practitioners' justification of their participation in plea negotiations. Deception, coercion and unethical practices in plea negotiations as a means of case disposition; Predictability of negotiated settlements; Linkage of disposition with the facts of a case; Necessity of...
- One fortunate cookie. Wapner, Joseph A. // National Forum;Fall91, Vol. 71 Issue 4, p18
Advises litigants to agree to settle a case quickly with defendants. Case of Wang Ho, who sued Seven-Up after his eighteen-month-old son injured an eye while playing an empty Seven-Up bottle.
- Settlement strategy: Alone or as group? Schachner, Michael // Business Insurance;10/9/95, Vol. 29 Issue 41, p2
Reports on the settlement strategies of two medical claims cases. Deadline for settlement by three defendant companies in the consolidated breast implant litigation; Trust fund for victims of A.H. Robins Co.'s Dalkon Shield device.
- City, Rio Nuevo negotiating to end lawsuits with cash, property trade. McNamara, Patrick // Inside Tucson Business;10/12/2012, Vol. 22 Issue 19, p1
The article reports on retail and community center Rio Nuevo's provision of $2.1 million to the City of Tucson in Arizona in exchange for some downtown properties as part of a settlement agreement between the two to end a pending lawsuit.
- Let's split the bill for cleanup expenses. Rutkin, Alan S. // Best's Review / Property-Casualty Insurance Edition;Oct94, Vol. 95 Issue 6, p80
Reflects on how policyholders and insurers could effectively settle an environmental cleanup litigation. Suggestion that the parties settle based on an agreement that a certain share of the cleanup will be covered; Advantages of the sharing agreement technique of settling cleanup litigations.
- Hack v. Learning Co. no. 14,657 Kas v. Learning Co. no. 14,684. // Delaware Journal of Corporate Law;1997, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p740
Focuses on the importance of settlement agreements concerning claims in an order of dismissal of actions by judicial courts in Delaware. Absence of adjudication or settlement of claims to warrant court approval of a release of claims; Duties of lawyers in the event of erroneous orders by the...