Social movements: Revolution, reform and reaction
- Sobre las Revoluciones Latinoamericanas del siglo XX. Grande, Patricio; Wiurnos, Natalia // Prohistoria;ene-jun2014, Vol. 21, p225
No abstract available.
- Latin America: Democracy and the market are not enough. Harrison, Lawrence E. // World Affairs;Spring93, Vol. 155 Issue 4, p169
Discusses the political systems and government of several Latin American countries during the 20th century. Lack of political stability; Economic difficulties of the countries in Latin America; Cultural explanations for the difficulties of Latin American countries; Spain and cultural change.
- Classifying Political Regimes in Latin America, 1945-1999. Mainwaring, Scott; Brinks, Daniel; Perez-Linan, Anibal // Studies in Comparative International Development;Spring2001, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p37
This article is about how political regimes should generally be classified, and how Latin American regimes should be classified for the 1945-99 period. We make five general claims about regime classification. First, regime classification should rest on sound concepts and definitions. Second, it...
- Benign despotism in the Dominican Republic. Wiarda, Howard J. // Freedom Review;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p19
Analyzes the political structure of Latin American countries. Democratic versions of Latin America; Colonial and Catholic legacies of Latin America; Profile on the political career of Dominican Republic President Joaquin Balaguer; Balaguer's ascension to dictatorial power; Balaguer's victory in...
- Unrest Plaguing Argentina Reforms. // World Trade;Aug2000, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p18
Presents updates on politics and government in Latin America as of August 2000. Information on the decision of Argentinean President Fernando de la Rua to decrease the salaries of state employees and accelerate structural reforms in the country; Views of people in Ecuador on the economic reform...
- Populismos latinoamericanos en el siglo XX. Apuntes para la actualizaciÃ³n de un debate. ALBERTO ALDAO, JOAQUÍN; JAVIER DAMIN, NICOLÁS // Historia Caribe;jul-dic2013, Vol. 9 Issue 22, p149
This article analyzes the major conceptualizations of Latin American populism during the twentieth century and incorporates new contributions produced by the social sciences in the recent years. Historicizing the debates we sought to link the interpretations that the authors construct with...
- 20 YEARS OF POLITICS AND ECONOMICS IN LATIN AMERICA. // Latin Trade (English);Nov/Dec2013, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p64
A timeline is presented of the changes in politics and economics that facilitated inclusive growth in Latin America from 1994-2013.
- An Uphill Climb. Sowinski, Lara L. // World Trade;Aug2000, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p26
Discusses the impact of the political and economic condition in Latin America on foreign businesses in the region. Plans of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez regarding the recession in the country; Information on the political tensions surrounding the presidential election in Peru; Details on...
- NEGOTIATING THE LOCAL: THE LATIN AMERICAN "PINK TIDE" OR WHAT'S LEFT FOR THE LEFT? Mora&nilde;a, Mabel // Canadian Journal of Latin American & Caribbean Studies (Canadian;2008, Vol. 33 Issue 66, p31
The results of recent electoral processes in Latin America reflect a political shift toward the left. This article analyzes the transformations that, within the context of the disappearance of socialism in Eastern Europe and the consolidation of globalization, experience this new left which...