The importance of PPE
- Choose the right approach to safety. Metzgar, Carl R. // Pit & Quarry;Sep95, Vol. 88 Issue 3, p34
Offers tips to help pit and quarry industries in choosing the right approach to accident prevention. Behavior modification; Mechanical solutions; Environmental and organizational factors as major determinants of results.
- Quarry safety programs. Kuhar, Mark S. // Pit & Quarry;Jul97, Vol. 90 Issue 1, pQS14
Focuses on the integral elements of an effective safety program for quarrying operations. Commitment from management; Establishment of a line of responsibility; High standards among employees; Elimination of hazards in the workplace.
- Safer by Association. // Mining & Quarry World;Sep2010, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p57
The article offers information on Safer by Association, a site-based health and safety audit package which was launched at the Hillhead 2010 quarry exhibition in Great Britain in June 2010.
- A lesson in equipment protection. Dyment, Robert // Pit & Quarry;Mar97, Vol. 89 Issue 9, p39
Presents programs, methods and techniques for guarding one's quarrying equipment against vandalism and theft. Pit and quarry security employees; Cultivation of a good relationship with local police and neighbors; Lighting and signs; Fencing; Locks, mark tools and equipment; Protection of job...
- A clear view of eye protection. Metzgar, Carl R. // Pit & Quarry;Feb97, Vol. 89 Issue 8, p14
Emphasizes the importance of eye safety programs in the quarrying industry. Membership in the Wise Owl Club of the Prevent Blindness America; Effectiveness of eye protection programs; Statistics on eye injuries.
- The eyes have it. Hernan, Patrick // Pit & Quarry;Jul97, Vol. 90 Issue 1, pQS20
Focuses on the importance of eye safety programs for quarry workers. Implications of eye injuries for employee productivity and the company's bottom line; Increasing number of companies implementing eye-safety programs; Hazard assessment of the pit and quarry to determine where eye injuries are...
- Safety products. // Pit & Quarry;Jul97, Vol. 90 Issue 1, pQS22
Features safety equipment and supplies for quarrying operations. Safety eyewear from ERB Safety; Fall harness from Miller Equipment; Particulate respirator from Moldex; Metatarsal boots from Iron Age Corp.
- Getting to the Root Cause. Frabotta, David // Pit & Quarry;Jul99, Vol. 92 Issue 1, p60
Deals with the implementation of the TapRoot system which provides a procedure that examined the root causes of safety problems in quarrying by Vulcan Materials Co. Comments from Richard Seago, manager of safety administration for the Vulcan Construction Materials Group; Benefits of Root Cause...
- Reduced injuries. // Mining & Quarry World;Sep2010, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p57
The article reports on the initiaitve of Judith Hackitt, chair of HSE in Great Britain, to commend companies and trade unions for their efforts to reduce injuries in the quarry sector.