The importance of PPE
- Choose the right approach to safety. Metzgar, Carl R. // Pit & Quarry;Sep95, Vol. 88 Issue 3, p34
Offers tips to help pit and quarry industries in choosing the right approach to accident prevention. Behavior modification; Mechanical solutions; Environmental and organizational factors as major determinants of results.
- Quarry safety programs. Kuhar, Mark S. // Pit & Quarry;Jul97, Vol. 90 Issue 1, pQS14
Focuses on the integral elements of an effective safety program for quarrying operations. Commitment from management; Establishment of a line of responsibility; High standards among employees; Elimination of hazards in the workplace.
- Safer by Association. // Mining & Quarry World;Sep2010, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p57
The article offers information on Safer by Association, a site-based health and safety audit package which was launched at the Hillhead 2010 quarry exhibition in Great Britain in June 2010.
- A lesson in equipment protection. Dyment, Robert // Pit & Quarry;Mar97, Vol. 89 Issue 9, p39
Presents programs, methods and techniques for guarding one's quarrying equipment against vandalism and theft. Pit and quarry security employees; Cultivation of a good relationship with local police and neighbors; Lighting and signs; Fencing; Locks, mark tools and equipment; Protection of job...
- A clear view of eye protection. Metzgar, Carl R. // Pit & Quarry;Feb97, Vol. 89 Issue 8, p14
Emphasizes the importance of eye safety programs in the quarrying industry. Membership in the Wise Owl Club of the Prevent Blindness America; Effectiveness of eye protection programs; Statistics on eye injuries.
- The eyes have it. Hernan, Patrick // Pit & Quarry;Jul97, Vol. 90 Issue 1, pQS20
Focuses on the importance of eye safety programs for quarry workers. Implications of eye injuries for employee productivity and the company's bottom line; Increasing number of companies implementing eye-safety programs; Hazard assessment of the pit and quarry to determine where eye injuries are...
- Safety products. // Pit & Quarry;Jul97, Vol. 90 Issue 1, pQS22
Features safety equipment and supplies for quarrying operations. Safety eyewear from ERB Safety; Fall harness from Miller Equipment; Particulate respirator from Moldex; Metatarsal boots from Iron Age Corp.
- Getting to the Root Cause. Frabotta, David // Pit & Quarry;Jul99, Vol. 92 Issue 1, p60
Deals with the implementation of the TapRoot system which provides a procedure that examined the root causes of safety problems in quarrying by Vulcan Materials Co. Comments from Richard Seago, manager of safety administration for the Vulcan Construction Materials Group; Benefits of Root Cause...
- Passive help for active problems. Metzgar, Carl // Pit & Quarry;Jul2001, Vol. 94 Issue 1, p16
Provides tips and techniques on risk management and accident reduction in the quarrying industry. Overview of the expanded concept of interface; Ways to minimize material handling injuries; Importance of the concept of lifting eye for safe work practice.