- The Big Book of Real Trucks/The Big Book of Real Fire Trucks and Fire Fighting (Book review). Burns, Connie Tyrell; Jones, Trevelyn E.; Gale, David; Meyer, Maureen // School Library Journal;Oct87, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p123
Reviews the books 'The Big Book of Real Trucks,' by Walter Retan and 'The Big Book of Real Fire Trucks and Fire Fighting,' by Teddy Slater.
- The Fire Truck Nightmare. Germany, Emily // Children's Digest;Nov/Dec2007, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p31
This section presents the poem "The Fire Truck Nightmare," by Emily Germany. First Line: Wahoo! Wahoo! Last Line: The fire truck slowly drives home.
- BREATHING LIFE INTO 'TILLY.' Noblitt, Matt // Fire Engineering;Feb2003, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p120
Focuses on the use of miniature tiller fire truck for the fire prevention education ideas of preschoolers in northern California. Eagerness of preschoolers to ride on a real fire truck; Version of the miniature tiller truck; Installation of a graphic designs on the vehicle.
- Drive to Survive. Daly, Christopher // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2007, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p51
The article presents facts for firefighters related to fire truck driving safety. A dry asphalt roadway usually has a friction value of around 0.8 to 0.9. which can drop to 0.2 or 0.3 on wet or icy conditions. If a vehicle travels faster than the critical speed of a road curve, it will lose...
- To the point. BARNETT, COLNI // Truck & Driver;Jan2014, p7
The article focuses on occupational hazards associated with truck driving such as long duration of solitude and loneliness while driving and suicides attempted by individuals by diving in front of speeding trucks in the U.S.
- Whistle blower ordered reinstated. Dunn, Jill // Overdrive;Dec2010, Vol. 50 Issue 12, p64
The article reports on the order of the U.S. Department of Labor to Zurla Trucking to restore the employment of their employee who was fired for refusing to drive two unsafe trucks.
- When 1 is Better Than 2. Martin, Pat // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;4/ 1/2011, p3
The article evaluates the hazardous materials (hazmat) response vehicles used by the Glendale Fire Department in Glendale, Arizona from SVI Trucks Inc.
- Navigating the virtual road. Kilcarr, Sean // Fleet Owner;Oct2012, Vol. 107 Issue 10, p1
The article focuses on virtual simulation training for truck drivers. Topics discussed include concerns of Don Osterberg, senior vice president-safety and security for truckload carrier Schneider National; steer tire blowout as hazardous driving situation; use of simulator to help driver...
- Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful: Training Entry Level Drivers in Seasonal Driving. Wooden, Brandon // Fleet Owner Exclusive Insight;12/19/2014, p11
The article discusses the need for trucking companies to train entry level drivers for seasonal driving. Topics covered include the threat posed by hazardous weather of truck drivers as well as the problems they faced due to hazardous weather such as slick roads and increased traffic. Also...
- Getting it right. York, Jim // Fleet Owner;Oct2002, Vol. 97 Issue 10, p32
Relates the experiences of the author on driving trucks. Awareness on mechanical safety hazards; Details on the responsibilities of various drivers; Causes of many tragic highway deaths.