The disability watch
- The Market Pricing of Disability Income Insurance for Individuals. Cox, Larry A.; Gustavson, Sandra G. // Financial Services Review;1995, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p109
Examines the relation of disability income insurance prices to underlying contractual and insurer characteristics. Adverse selection and elimination periods; Characteristics affecting disability income insurance prices; Hedonic pricing model.
- Disability Sellers See Double-Digit Growth. Bell, Allison // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;9/4/2000, Vol. 104 Issue 36, p3
Discusses the growth of the United States disability insurance market in 2000. Percentage of the increase of disability insurance sales; Evidences of the good performance of disability insurance agencies; Reason for losses and consolidations of companies in 1999; Competition faced by disability...
- Market Conduct Improves With Clear LTD Benefits Explanations. Friedman, Douglas I. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;9/4/2000, Vol. 104 Issue 36, p7
Discusses the importance of clear explanations of long-term disability (LTD) benefits by insurers. Negotiations of the definition of disability in a group policy between employer and insurer; Problems faced by employees who become disabled due to these negotiations; Criticisms against the...
- To Excel With Worksite DI Products, Understanding Differences Between Them. Dulac, Gregory // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;6/25/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 26, p8
Focuses on the importance of understanding the differences between worksite disability insurance for insurance companies to succeed in the market. Participation rate of worksite disability products that use group enrollment meetings; Factors to consider to reach the target participation rate of...
- Buyers' market for LTD cover. Greenwald, Judy // Business Insurance;8/14/95, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p1
Reports on increased competition among group long-term disability insurance companies in the United States. Growing emphasis on integrating long- and short-term disability coverage; Increase in losses on claims in some insurance areas; Factors contributing to depressed insurer returns; Increase...
- By the Numbers. // Best's Review;Oct2002, Vol. 103 Issue 6, p16
Presents statistics that illustrate trends in the insurance industry as of October 2002. Increase of disability insurance rates; Claims for individual and group disability.
- Integrating Disability. Panko, Ron // Best's Review / Life-Health Insurance Edition;Sep99, Vol. 100 Issue 5, p82
Discusses the integrated disability plans of insurance companies in the United States (US). Largest disability insurer in the country; Benefit of integrating long and short term disability; Insurance companies that have embraced integrated disability. INSET: A Stirring Movement, by Dale J. Block.
- Better days are ahead. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;3/6/95, Vol. 99 Issue 10, p48
Editorial. Opines that there lies a brighter future for the disability insurance industry in the United States. Industry's problems on the rising claims, market retrenchments, coverage cutbacks and price increases; Insurers' adoption of necessary corrective actions; Evidences for the...
- We don't need simpler products. Andruss, Mark // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;2/23/98, Vol. 102 Issue 8, p7
Opinion. Presents the author's views on how disability insurers in the United States could meet the needs of their customers. Way of expressing the central promise of insurance products; Products and options offered by group disability insurance companies; How insurer is charged with creating...
- In LTD, little words can mean big headaches. Grogan, Sean P. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;2/23/98, Vol. 102 Issue 8, p12
Discusses the status of the long term disability (LTD) insurance market in the United States. Rights of LTD insurance companies; Several key provisions when considering a recommendation to make a move from one insurance carrier to another; Importance of cost/benefit analysis in insurance.