The model minority myth and perceptions of Asian-Americans as victims of racial harassment
- Myth: College Campuses Are Unsafe. // Criminal Justice Research Review;Jan/Feb2013, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p51
The article focuses on the myth that college campuses in the U.S. are unsafe due to increasing incidents of violence.
- Some smaller schools fail to comply with Security Act. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;03/20/97, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p9
Reports on the percentage of higher education institutions that failed to compile annual campus-crime statistics in accordance with the United States federal law. Re-examination of campus-crime rules from the 1990 Campus Security Act.
- Shootings, media boost school security spending. O'Connell, Tim // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Aug99, Vol. 29 Issue 11, p33
Focuses on the increase of security budgets for school segments in Littletown, Colorado. Impact of the shooting incident at Columbine High School; Importance of the school related business; Application of video surveillance to monitor remote areas of campuses.
- Helping high school students assess campus safety. Roark, Mary L. // School Counselor;Mar92, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p251
Focuses on how counselors can help students and their parents deal with various concerns about campus security and personal safety. Forms of campus violence; Rape; Assault; Hazing; Harassment; Bias-related violence; Guidelines for assessing campus safety.
- Columbine students return to class: District finds itself in debt. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;05/12/99, Vol. 18 Issue 35, p6
Reports on the return to class of students of Columbine High School in Jefferson County, Colorado. Aftermath of the shooting incident in the school that killed 14 students and a teacher; Emergence of signs of normalcy; Adjustments to late class shifts.
- Arrests Top 350 in Threats, Bomb Scares. Drummond, Steven; Portner, Jessica // Education Week;05/26/99, Vol. 18 Issue 37, p1
Reveals that 350 students in the United States were arrested on charges related to threats against schools, school officials or their classmates. Sample of school violence incidents; Efforts to stop school violence; Reason behind the increase in school-related violence.
- Forewarned is forearmed: The Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 and the future of... Griffaton, Michael C. // Case Western Reserve Law Review;Winter93, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p525
Examines the effect of the federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 on college and university liability for student victimization. School and legislative responses to campus crime; Theories of institutional liability; Critique of state campus reporting laws.
- Campus-security law targeted. // American School & University;Jul98, Vol. 70 Issue 11, p3
Focuses on an amendment introduced in the United States Senate that would close a loophole in the 1990 Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act. Proposed changes in the federal definition of `campus'; Current reporting of campus crimes.
- Special: How Can We Prevent School Violence? // Junior Scholastic (Teacher's Edition);4/9/2001, Vol. 103 Issue 16, pT-2
Presents an article examining strategies to prevent school violence in the United States.