Action: School services
- Family Choice in Education: A Model State System For Vouchers. P.W.G. // California Law Review;Jan1971, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p321
Presents the text of the Family Choice in Education Act, with a prologue. Article as a step in the effort to remove the deleterious influence of variations in household income on the quality of education received; Definitions; Repeal of statutes; Economic and tax analysis.
- Texas School Deal Breaks Down in House. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/25/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32367, p4
The article reports on the failure of finalizing a school funding bill in Dallas, Texas after education lobbyists walked away from lawmakers due to inadequate equalization measures in the proposal. The ruling stated that a mandatory cap of 1.50 dollars per 100 dollars of valuation on local...
- It's nearly high noon for Wyo. officials facing finance deadline. White, Kerry A. // Education Week;06/11/97, Vol. 16 Issue 37, p33
Reports on the special session planned by legislators in Wyoming to discuss a funding system to provide equal education opportunities to the state's 100,000 students. Deadline set by the high court for the mandate; Background on the case filed by four school districts against the state in 1992...
- Gender equity in athletic programs a matter of interpretation. Lockhart, Lee // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;7/5/2002, Issue 322951, p24
Focuses on the provisions of the Education Amendments of 1972 in the United States. Mandate of gender equity at the K-12 and post-secondary level for all activities; Issues related to athletics; Blame put on the law for the elimination of male sports programs.
- Federal Judge Halts La. District's Vouchers. A. P. // Education Week;12/5/2012, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p4
The article discusses the 2012 ruling of Louisiana-based U.S. District Judge Ivan Lemelle who found that a school voucher program in the state's Tangipaboa Parish, which was passed by governor Bobby Jindal, conflicts with a 1965 desegregation lawsuit ruling that enforces educational equalization.
- Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama v. Garrett and the Equal Education Opportunity Act: Another Act Bites the Dust. Landward, Geoffrey // Brigham Young University Education & Law Journal;2002, Issue 2, p313
Discusses a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on the case Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama versus Patricia Garrett. Implication of the ruling for the Equal Education Opportunity Act (EEOA) and Eleventh Amendment; Provisions of the legislation; Facts of the case; Background on several...
- Commentary: Delivering Educational Services That Meet the Needs of All Students. FERRETTI, RALPH P.; EISENMAN, LAURA T. // Exceptional Children;Spring2010, Vol. 76 Issue 3, p378
Federal policies intended to promote educational equity, especially through state accountability mechanisms, have mobilized efforts to improve outcomes for students with disabilities. Although these efforts have met with some success, achievement gaps remain. The authors argue that local...
- Unequal Funding: Teaching Cadillac Kids with Chevy Dollars. Waldron, John // Human Rights;Spring97, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p6
The article focuses on the issue of providing equal funding for public schools discussed in a panel discussion sponsored by the American Bar Association's Section of Individual Rights & Responsibilities. Nearly 24 years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that education is not a fundamental right...
- N.J. Lawmakers Pass School 'Bankruptcy' Bill. Rodman, Blake // Education Week;1/13/1988, Vol. 7 Issue 15/16, p12
The article reports on the United States Senate's approval of a compromise bill that will enable state officials to take control of academically bankrupt school districts across the country. Under the bill, a district can get additional state money for necessary improvements, at the final stage...