Effects of substituting dietary soybean protein and oil for milk protein and fat in subjects with
- Sitostanol-ester margarine and cholesterol reduction. // American Family Physician;6/1/1996, Vol. 53 Issue 8, p2664
Reports on a study by T.A. Miettinen, et al, published in the `New England Journal of Medicine' which evaluated the effects of a plant sterol, sitostanol ester-fortified margarine in patients with mild hypercholesterolemia. Reduction in serum total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels;...
- Conceptual model for dietary change to lower serum cholesterol. Janas, B.G.; Bisogni, C.A. // Journal of Nutrition Education;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p186
Presents a conceptual model on cholesterol-lowering dietary change. Hypercholesterolemia; Components of dietary change to lower cholesterol; Dimensions of components; Relationship among components.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy for Hypercholesterolemia Positively Affects Patient Satisfaction and Quality of Life Outcomes. Delahanty, Linda M.; Hayden, Doug; Ammerman, Alice; Nathan, David M. // Annals of Behavioral Medicine;2002, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p269
Following a heart-healthy diet to lower cholesterol levels is often assumed to be difficult, to be burdensome, and to have a negative impact on quality of life (QOL). The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of medical nutrition therapy (MNT) versus usual care (UC) for...
- Cholesterol-lowering HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor. // Modern Medicine;Feb94, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p11
Reports that the US Food and Drug Administration has approved fluvastin sodium as an adjunct to diet for the treatment of primary hypercholesterolemia. Dosage; Contraindications.
- Bean power in a flash. // Body Bulletin;Dec93, p2
Offers suggestions for cutting cholesterol. Study at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine in which people with dangerously high cholesterol levels were giving one-and-a-half cups of cooked beans a day for three weeks; Recipes for yellow split-pea dip and lentils with curried...
- A clove a day keeps the oat bran away. // People's Medical Society Newsletter;Feb94, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p8
Reports that garlic can significantly decrease serum cholesterol in people with high cholesterol levels. Review in the October 1, 1993 `Annals of Internal Medicine'; Study details; Garlic supplements.
- Pass the nutcracker. // Better Nutrition;Dec2001, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p21
Examines the link between pecans consumption and cholesterol-lowering diets. Components of pecans; Effect of pecan consumption on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol; Influence of triglycerides on high-density lipoprotein.
- Doubts about diet. B.L. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p4
Reports on the ability of diet to lower cholesterol. Research by the Heart Disease Prevention Center in Minneapolis; Inaccuracies in studies; Lowering of cholesterol level by using the drug lovastin.
- More solid evidence for soluble fiber... McCord, Holly; Yeykal, Teresa A. // Prevention;Dec93, Vol. 45 Issue 12, p32
Provides information on how foods high in soluble fiber can lower total cholesterol. Researchers' comparison of volunteers on either a soluble fiber or insoluble fiber diet; Researcher David Jenkins; Reported in `New Englnd Journal of Medicine,' July 1, 1993.