Returning the deposed queen conch to royal status in Florida
- Strategies for the conservation of endangered freshwater pearl mussels ( Margaritifera margaritifera L.): a synthesis of Conservation Genetics and Ecology. Geist, Juergen // Hydrobiologia;May2010, Vol. 644 Issue 1, p69
Freshwater pearl mussels ( Margartifera margaritifera L.) are among the most critically threatened freshwater bivalves worldwide. The pearl mussel simultaneously fulfils criteria of indicator, flagship, keystone and umbrella species and can thus be considered an ideal target species for the...
- Molluscs in the marine curio and souvenir trade in NE Brazil: species composition and implications for their conservation and management. Dias, Thelma L. P.; Leo Neto, Nivaldo A.; Alves, R�mulo R. N. // Biodiversity & Conservation;Oct2011, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p2393
Marine molluscs are sold all over the world as curios and souvenirs. This market encompasses about 5,000 species of molluscs (bivalves and gastropods) worldwide, but the mollusc species involved in this trade are undocumented in all but a very small number of countries. The present study...
- The invasion and subsequent die-off of Mytilus galloprovincialis in Langebaan Lagoon, South Africa: effects on natural communities. Robinson, T. B.; Griffiths, C. L.; Branch, G. M.; Govender, A. // Marine Biology;Aug2007, Vol. 152 Issue 2, p225
The alien mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis invaded sand banks in Langebaan Lagoon on the west coast of South Africa in the mid-1990s. However, by 2001 these beds had completely died off, with only empty shells and anoxic sand remaining. In an effort to prevent the re-settlement of this...
- HOW CAN WE SAVE OUR OCEANS? // Monkeyshines on America;Mar99 Oceans & Oceanography Issue, p40
Presents tips on how individuals can help save the world's oceans. Proper disposal of oil; Practice of not pouring down the drain household chemicals; Proper way of fishing; Care of corals.
- Reef Rescue. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;8/29/2003, Vol. 85 Issue 1, p4
Focuses on the efforts of the government to counteract overfishing, pollution and high temperature problems at the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland. Establishment of underwater garden; Limitation of fishing; Increase in the number of green zones.
- Call for high seas ocean parks. // Ecos;Dec2009/Jan2010, Issue 152, p5
The article reports on the call of scientists regarding marine conservation in Australia.
- Ocean heroes. Rystedt, Rex // Popular Science;Mar95, Vol. 246 Issue 3, p38
Presents ordinary people in the United States who have contributed to marine resources conservation efforts. Involvement of Nisqually Indian Billy Frank in fisheries conservation in the Pacific Northwest; Surfrider Foundation of California; Establishment of the Bernie Fowler day in Maryland;...
- SHELTERED SEAS. Williams, David B. // Science World;10/23/2006, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p6
The article reports on the efforts by the U.S. government to protect its oceans and marine resources.
- DEEP-SEA CLEANUP. Bruno, Tara // Science World;10/8/2007, Vol. 64 Issue 3, p3
This article features the effort of a team of military salvage divers to clean up the ocean for rubber tires in Broward County, Florida, in 2007.