- Producing patriotic inspiration at Mount Rushmore. Glass, Matthew // Journal of the American Academy of Religion;Summer94, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p265
Examines the process of symbolic appropriation that began with the hard work done by the carvers of Mount Rushmore National Memorial focusing specifically on the production of patriotic inspiration at the memorial. Connection with sacred qualities carved into the mountain; Recognition of...
- A patriotic Left? Fonte, John // Commentary;Sep98, Vol. 106 Issue 3, p44
Focuses on patriotism in the United States. Reference to the book `Achieving Our Country,' by Richard Rorty; Comments about multicultural education; Reference to a study conducted in the early 1900s in San Diego, California, which focused on the views of 5,000 students on patriotism.
- Against national culture. Appiah, Kwame Anthony // English in Africa;May96, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p11
Discusses Ghanaian patriotism in relation to South African patriotism. Relations of Ghana to South Africa; Ethnic identities present in Ghana; Introduction of the concept of cosmopolitan patriotism; Differentiation of patriotism from nationalism; Cosmopolitan challenge to liberalism.
- Who's the most patriotic of all? Goode, Stephen // Insight on the News;07/27/98, Vol. 14 Issue 27, p4
Presents the results of a survey which indicates that Americans are more patriotic than any other persons in the world. Details on the most patriotic nations; Nations which have the least amount of patriotism; Number of persons surveyed; Comments from Tom W. Smith, director of the University of...
- Flag-waving and freedom fries. Kubiak, Greg D. // Gay & Lesbian Times;2/27/2003, Issue 792, p35
Discusses the patriotism of Americans. Display of American flags in windows of the Congressional office buildings; Renaming of French fries into Freedom Fries because of France's refusal to support the U.S. view on Iraq in the United Nations; Test to determine an individual's level of patriotism.
- Picture This, America! // Jack & Jill;Jul/Aug2006, Vol. 68 Issue 4, p24
A quiz concerning U.S. patriotism is presented.
- Who's patriotic? Javers, Ron; Ash, Jennifer // Town & Country;Jul92, Vol. 146 Issue 5146, p46
Presents a compilation of what patriotism means to dozens of prominent Americans. Marilyn Quayle; James Stewart; Patricia Schroeder; Julia Child; J. Carter Brown; Leonard Lauder.
- Of Paul Revere's ride and green peas. Gould, John // Christian Science Monitor;4/14/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 100, p23
Comments on patriotism in the United States, and the decline of patriotism as exhibited by the delayed television coverage of the Boston Marathon on Patriot's Day in April 1999.
- Australia: The land. Ludbrook, Jo // Viewpoints;Aug95, Issue 2, p2
Presents author's views on aspects of Australian life and culture. Australians' attitudes and approach towards the land; Early feelings toward the land; Settlers' difficulty with the isolation and vastness of the country in comparison to European countries; Mastery and domestication of the...
- Waving the flag won't solve our problems. R.E.B. // U.S. Catholic;Jul92, Vol. 57 Issue 7, p2
Contemplates the meaning of patriotism. When it can be a beautiful thing; Potential evil of patriotism; Examination of America's national character; Problems with patriotism today.