Innovative waste program seeks level playing field
- Tipping fee impact determines private/public decision. Blow, Felicia Walker // World Wastes;Mar1998, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p6
Details how the Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) in Chesapeake, Virginia decided to develop Cell V for the expansion of its landfill facilities in Suffolk. Option of constructing a cell at its landfill area or use private sites; Deciding factor; Cost-effective features of the...
- Contract. // World Wastes;Mar1998, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p8
Reports that Flathead County Solid Waste District in Kalispell, Montana has chosen the team of Braun Intertec/Rust Environmental & Infrastructure to provide solid waste services for the district's landfill facilities.
- Group tackles RCRA. Greczyn, Mary // Waste News;7/1/96, Vol. 2 Issue 7, p6
Reports on the deliberations on the proposed shift of cleanup wastes to Subtitle D landfills in the United States. Calls for the correction of perceived flaws in Resource Conservation and Recovery Act; Key features of the proposal.
- Bills would block exports. Geiselman, Bruce // Waste News;8/5/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p4
Reports the move of two congressmen to introduced legislation aimed at keeping Canadian waste out of landfills in Michigan. Requirement of the Canadian government to obtain consent before exporting solid waste; Violation of the North American Free Trade Agreement; Impact of the bill approval on...
- Landfill problems continue. L.G. // Caribbean Business;4/1/1999, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p20
Discusses the problems involving landfills and solid waste management in Puerto Rico. Closure of 33 landfills in 1994 for failure to comply with regulations; Disposal of solid wastes in landfills; Need to increase the number of landfills to reach the government's goal of recycling 33 percent of...
- It's a living thing. Johnson, Jim // Waste News;11/13/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 25, p1
Reports on bioreactors, a concept with the potential to become the next great breakthrough in solid waste landfill technology. Acceleration of the degradation of solid waste to create more room for waste disposal; Testing of the process in landfills around the United States; Mixed views about...
- RECIRCULATION: The Future Is Stable. Doran, Fred // MSW Management;May/Jun2002, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p78
Discusses various approaches for protecting groundwater quality in solid waste management. Collection of generated leachate at the landfill base; Dry tomb approach of landfilling; Leachate recirculation proposal. INSETS: Additional Incentives for Leachate Recirculation;Recirculation's...
- Landfill concerns lost among other priorities. Acohido, Byron // Waste News;11/17/97, Vol. 3 Issue 27, p15
Focuses on the challenges for solid waste management in Alaska. Background statistics on Alaska; Types of landfill facilities in the state; Concerns of state inspectors regarding the sewage handling systems of villages.
- Virginia county weighs landfill cost cuts. Peltier, Michael // Waste News;03/29/99, Vol. 4 Issue 46, p4
Discloses the findings resulting from a KPMG LLP audit that Prince William County, Virginia, will save P500,000 annually by cutting landfill hours and reducing the number of solid waste department workers. Caution against privatization of waste disposal; Goal of commissioning KPMG to do the...