Denver Hispanics assail bilingual ed. plan
- Bilingual miseducation. Thernstrom, A.M. // Commentary;Feb1990, Vol. 89 Issue 2, p44
Reports on bilingual education in America's public schools. Civil rights; Bilingual Education Act of 1968; Transitional bilingual education; Results of instruction in a native language.
- When you remember bilingual ed, don't forget Tony. Maceri, Domenico // Christian Science Monitor;2/23/98, Vol. 90 Issue 60, p11
Opinion. Speaks in favor of bilingual education in schools in the United States. How bilingual instruction could have helped the author's brother in school; The advantages of bilingual education; Who it helps the most.
- Bilingual education. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;5/25/94, Vol. 13 Issue 35, p12
Reports on developments in bilingual education in the United States. Handbook released by the Department of Education designed to help low-English-proficient students in vocational programs; Increase in University of Arizona's bilingual-education teachers; Plans for schoolchildren in Bethel,...
- The battle over bilingual education. // Scholastic Update;9/21/84, Vol. 118 Issue 1, p30
The battle over bilingual education makes a fascinating case study of how an interest group works to win a share of the federal tax dollar. The Reagan Administration has tried to cut bilingual education money, but supporters have kept the funds in the budget.
- Adios to bilingual ed? // U.S. Catholic;May98, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p8
Focuses on the controversy over bilingual education in California. State's Board of Education's rescission of its policy requiring bilingual education in schools; California Catholic Conference's position on the referendum called Proposition 227; Expected discussion of the issue in their spring...
- Combining LOTE and content in the primary classroom. Truckenbrodt, Andrea; Rogan, Pauline // Primary Educator;1997, Vol. 3 Issue 8, p4
Discusses the use of bilingual program in Australian classrooms. Factors in the success of the project; Key characteristics in the language-object programs; Reasons for adopting a content-based model for second language learning; Issues to be considered in implementing language other than...
- Parents worry bilingual ed. hurts students. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;2/28/96, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p1
Reports on the objections of parents over the bilingual education program in Brooklyn, New York City schools. Reasons for the objections; Failure of a lawsuit filed by parents against the state; Problems Complaints against bilingual education on the national level.
- Bilingual & immigrant education. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;9/04/96, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p8
No abstract available.
- On Capitol Hill, Congress takes up bilingual ed. debate. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;05/27/98, Vol. 17 Issue 37, p20
Reports on a debate in California regarding bilingual education. Comments about bilingual education programs; Possible outcome of the anti-bilingual education ballot measure; Views of bilingual education advocates.
- Will Calif.'s bellweather reputation ring true? Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;06/17/98, Vol. 17 Issue 40, p6
Reports on the implementation of proposition 227, a law implemented in California during 1998. which will virtually eliminates bilingual education in that state. Significance of the legislation; Impact of the law on education in the United States; Speculation that other states will avoid this...