Legislature steps into the fray over electricity
- Ohio joins electric deregulation trend. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;06/18/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30665, p8
Focuses on legislative bills in Ohio which propose the deregulation of the state's electric power industry. Legislators supportive of the bill.
- Maryland to compensate counties for deregulation costs. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;04/06/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30613, p4
Reports on a package of bills that will deregulate the electric utility industry in Maryland. Protection from large revenue losses; Cuts in property taxes electricity-generating companies are required to pay; School funding in Maryland.
- GOP dissects Clinton utility bill. Foster, Andrea // Chemical Week;7/15/1998, Vol. 160 Issue 26, p16
Focuses on the move of the United States Congress for taking another look at the deregulation plan for the electric utility industry. Sales that should be generated by companies according to the bill; Move taken by the Republicans on the House of Commerce Committee for consumers; Concerns...
- Texas Senate ready to decide on deregulation measure. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;03/17/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30600, p40
Reports on an electric power deregulation bill in Texas Senate. Electric utilities' recovery of stranded costs through bond issues; Exemption of municipal securities and cooperatives from competing in an open market.
- Congress may try to boost landfill gas and WTE use. Warner, Edward // Waste News;07/26/99, Vol. 5 Issue 11, p4
Reports on the bills pending in the United States Congress related to the deregulation of the electricity industry. Bill requiring power suppliers to use renewable energy resources such as landfill gas or incinerator trash; Bill requiring the utility industry to clean its power plants.
- Hungary sets new industry structure. // Utility Week;6/1/2007, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p10
The article reports that the government in Hungary has approved a bill to liberalize the electricity market in the country in line with European directives from January 1, 2008. It notes that utilities need to apply for a universal service provider license so that they can purchase power on the...
- Senate prez has power to prevent ComEd crisis. // Crain's Chicago Business;11/20/2006, Vol. 29 Issue 47, p22
The article discusses the significance of Illinois Senate President Emil Jones' decision regarding a bill that would freeze electric rates for three years in the state. Backed by House Speaker Michael Madigan, the measure is expected to pass the full House. The freeze was part of a deal...
- Electric Power Play. Kriz, Margaret // National Journal;6/03/2000, Vol. 32 Issue 23, p1744
Looks at the efforts of the United States (US) Congress in restructuring the electricity industry. Features of the deregulation of electric utilities in the US; Implications of power outages; Details on the restructuring legislation; Actions taken by monopoly utilities to prevent what they...
- UES reorganisation nears vote at last. // Power Economics;Feb2003, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p5
Reports on the reading of legislative bills to reform the electricity sector in Russia. Encouragement of business competition in the electricity market; Control of gas monopoly Gazprom; Reorganization of the Unified Energy Systems.