Chinese fishermen of Santa Barbara and Santa Rosa Island
- Floating abalone farm commences first full year of operations. // Professional Fisherman;Feb2003, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p10
Reports that Australia's first floating abalone farm has headed to sea to begin its first full year of operation. Two million dollar refitting of Destiny Abalone.
- Californians rally to rescue dwindling seafood delicacy. Hanson, Gayle M.B. // Insight on the News;10/06/97, Vol. 13 Issue 37, p38
Opinion. Focuses on the abalone industry in California. Details on the devastation of the industry by a parasitic worm; Name of the worm; Information on the order issued to stop the harvesting of wild red abalone by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife; Comments from John Duffy, the...
- Farming abalone. // NZ Business;Jul97, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p4
Provides information on the development of a standardized technology for commercial hatching and growing abalone (paua) by former fisherman and green mussel farming pioneer, Stuart McFarlane. Information on his company, Abalonics who has patented the technology worldwide; Destribution of...
- White Abalone: Loved to Death. Franz, Damon // E: The Environmental Magazine;Mar/Apr2000, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p19
Focuses on the possible extinction of white abalone along California's coastline from Mexico to Oregon. Effect of intense commercial and recreational harvesting of white abalone; Conservation of white abalone through breeding.
- BAZ. McRoberts, Barry // Professional Fisherman;Oct2003, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p7
Addresses the issue of abalone fishing poaching in Australia. Reason why abalone fishing is prone to poaching; Steps taken by authorities to control abalone fishing poaching; Factors that hinder the authorities' efforts to stop poaching.
- Capture or culture? // Geography;Oct99, Vol. 84 Issue 365, p364
Looks at global trends in abalone fisheries. Effect of the increase in the market for luxury food products in the wealthier countries of the world; Habitat of abalone; Information on abalone farming.
- Poached to the brink. Murphy, Damien // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/13/94, Vol. 116 Issue 5950, p21
Reports on abalone poaching in Victoria, Australia. Black market trading of abalones; Violence between Victorian and New South Wales abalone divers; Establishment of an Illegal Fish Sales Taskforce.
- Chinese New year abalone poaching spree in Australia and New Zealand. // Ausmarine;Mar2008, Vol. 30 Issue 5, p15
The article focuses on the abalone trade in Australia and New Zealand. Prized by the Chinese, the demand for the shellfish is high during its peak season in the Chinese Lunar New Year. It is estimated that for every two abalone that is taken legally, there is one that is taken for the black...
- Pan-Fried to Extinction. Helvarg, David // Sierra;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 86 Issue 2, p28
Deals with the decline in the number of abalones in California. Discussions on commercial abalone diving; Market demand for abalones; Breeding programs; Conservation efforts.