Understanding what motivates people
Tags: MOTIVATION (Psychology)
- Motivation: what it takes to get you going. Goodman, S. // Current Health 2;Feb1988, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p10
Discusses ways to motivate oneself to accomplish a goal. How to de-emphasize negative thinking; Setting goals; Tapping inner resources.
- Changing the hostile business. // Inc.;Apr84, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p121
Seventeen years ago, the president of a small electronics company looked at the business he had built and realized it had turned hostile and threatening. In order to change it, he had to invent a new kind of corporation, consisting of freedom and respect for the individual which, in turn, is...
- Just do it! // PS: Preventive Maintenance Monthly;Apr96, Issue 521, preceding p1
Presents a motivation for `The Preventive Maintenance Monthly' readers to just do the things they are set to do.
- Art for art's sake. Kohn, A. // Psychology Today;Sep87, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p52
People will be most creative when they feel motivated by the intrinsic value of the work itself, not external pressures, this creativity expert says. A profile of Teresa Amabile, 37, an associate professor of psychology at Brandeis University whostudies creativity and motivation. INSET:...
- The power of self-talk. Braiker, H.B. // Psychology Today;Dec89, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p23
Reports how inner conversations can have a powerful impact on emotional well-being and motivation. People who are aware of exactly what they are saying to themselves about themselves can better understand why they react the way they do to events and people in their lives. It can also give them...
- Practical and powerful motivation. Schuh, Ray // Supervision;Jan94, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p7
Shares experiences on motivation and suggests five basic steps to help achieve a higher degree of motivated behavior. Meaningful tasks to perform; Contribution to a common goal; Freedom and support; Recognition; Rewards.
- Me and my shadow. Bellman, Geoff // Training & Development;Feb97, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p64
Provides insights on how to handle positive and negative sources of motivation. Significance of recognizing both fears and desires; Ways to tap sources of motivation.
- Fire yourself up. // Sell!ng;Feb98, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p16
Suggests the need to remember one's motivated moments of the past to help rekindle that motivation in the present, according to Art Sobczak, publisher of the `Telephone Selling Report.'
- Why do you do the things you do? // Psychotherapy Letter;Jun94, Vol. 6 Issue 6, following p4
Presents a reprint of an article from `Interact,' about motivation. Correlation between motivation and behavior; Basic types of motivators; Responding to motives; Resources available to help achieve a deeper understanding of one's motives.