The Trouble with Arbitration
- `Confirming' an arbitration award. Anderson, Edward C. // Business Credit;Sep96, Vol. 98 Issue 8, p34
Discusses various aspects of arbitration contracts. Advantages; Confirmation process of arbitration awards; State courts as enforcers; Federal courts as confirmers; Necessary documents; Confirmation fee.
- Q&A. // Dispute Resolution Journal;Dec93, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p63
Focuses on arbitrators' provision of written explanations of awards in the United States. Correlation with the American Arbitration Association's Commercial Arbitration Rules; Breakdown of items being awarded.
- ENFORCING Arbitration Awards. Colagiovanni, Joseph; Hartmann, Thomas W. // Dispute Resolution Journal;Jan1995, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p14
Focuses on the enforcement of arbitration awards. Application of the Federal Arbitration Act and the Uniform Arbitration Act; Procedures; Validity; Actions in state courts; Award modifications; Waiver of rights.
- 10 TECHNIQUES For Managing Arbitration Hearings. Myers, James J. // Dispute Resolution Journal;Jan-Mar96, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p28
Offers techniques that may be employed to make arbitration hearings more efficient and faster, while at the same time maintaining fairness and an equal opportunity for the parties to present their positions. Admission of evidence; Time limits and encouraging settlements.
- RM, broker, insurers ask: How much Ins. is enough? Katz, David M. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;5/06/96, Vol. 100 Issue 19, p7
Predicts that court awards is making it impossible to measure how much liability coverage to buy. Reference from Bob Booher, manager of New York-based Marsh & McLennan's United States (US) claims operation and Richard C. Heydinger, director of risk management services for Kansas City,...
- The process of arbitration. Block, Jerome N. // Appraisal Journal;Apr93, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p234
Discusses the need for an arbitration process that requires the services of a professional prepared to adjudicate matters in an expeditious and cost-efficient manner. Alternative to litigation; Examples of real estate disputes; American Arbitration Association (AAA); Arbitrators' fees;...
- Acquisition law. // Reporter;Sep91, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p15
Discusses the changing of rules concerning award without discussions. Reference to the National Defense Authorization Act of 1991; Significance of the change; Four advantages of the change; What the change applies to; Government's rights to receive common law damages.
- Redefining public policy in international arbitration of mandatory national laws. Curtin, Kenneth-Michael // Defense Counsel Journal;Apr97, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p271
Advocates the formation of `international' and `transnational' public policy exceptions to replace the single, parochial `national' public policy approach in the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards. Application of the public policy defenses of the 1958 United Nations Convention on...
- A Study of Reversal Determinants in Discipline and Discharge Arbitration Awards: The Impact of Just Cause Standards. Bohlander, George W.; Blancero, Donna // Labor Studies Journal;Fall96, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p3
Presents a study classifying the determinants given by arbitrators for reversing managerial action in discipline cases. Lack of supporting evidence; Mitigating circumstances; Inappropriate administration of rules and job requirements; Determinants in discipline and discharge cases; Just cause...
- Arbitration witnesses can't be sued: Court. // Business Insurance;5/9/94, Vol. 28 Issue 19, p9
Reports on the California Supreme Court's decision in the case `Moore' vs. Conliffe' stating that witnesses cannot be sued for statements they make in private arbitration proceedings. Overturning of an earlier ruling by an appellate court in 1993.