- The Western Red Lily. McKinnon, Shannon // Gardens West;Special Bulb Edition, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p60
The article offers information about the western red lily or the native wood lily, a wildflower commonly seen in the prairie regions of North America. With the scientific name Lilium philadelphicum, this flower has a hardiness level of zone 2. Considered as an endangered specie, its natural...
- A Checklist of the Vascular Flora of Crenshaw County, Alabama. Diamond Jr., Alvin R. // Castanea;Mar2011, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p64
The vascular flora of Crenshaw County, Alabama, was surveyed from 1987 to 2010. A total of 1171 taxa (species and hybrids) in 565 genera from 150 families are reported. Twenty-five taxa represented by herbarium specimens from Crenshaw County were not recollected during this study. The Inventory...
- Drop that lupine! // Money;Aug2000, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p31
Reports on Federal and State laws in the United States that prohibit the picking of endangered wildflowers. Fines and jail sentences as penalties for the illegal harvesting of flowers; Endangered flowers, including the purple coneflower, queen of the prairie, lady's slipper and others.
- NATIONAL TREASURE. Tolm�, Paul // National Wildlife (World Edition);Jun/Jul2005, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p22
Focuses on the importance of banking native plants and wildflower seeds in biodiversity. Information on several seed banking efforts to preserve endangered wildflowers; Factors behind reproductive declines in wildflowers; Benefits from seed banking.
- Interisland Range Expansion of Viola lanaiensis ( Violaceae: Malpighiales), an Endangered Hawaiian Violet. Christopher Havran, J.; Oppenheimer, Hank; Keaton, Jacob; Piotrowski, Krystal // Pacific Science;Oct2012, Vol. 66 Issue 4, p447
The monophyletic Hawaiian violet lineage includes five species that are endangered or threatened. A new population of Viola was recently discovered on Helu Peak, West Maui. Individuals in the Helu Peak population appeared morphologically similar to critically imperiled Viola lanaiensis, endemic...
- Floral biology, breeding system and pollination ecology of an endangered tree Tetracentron sinense Oliv. (Trochodendraceae). Gan, Xiaohong; Cao, Lingling; Zhang, Xia; Li, Huaichun // Botanical Studies;Dec2013, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p1
Background: Tetracentron sinense Oliv. is an endangered tree mainly distributed in south-central China. The breeding system and pollination ecology of T. sinense are unclear. With a conservation perspective, the floral biology, breeding system and pollination ecology of Tetracentron sinense...
- Rosemoor rarities. // Plantsman: New Series;Sep2005, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p133
The article reports on Rosemoor's extraordinary plants including Ilex perado, a platyphylla (Canary Island holly) variety, characterized by its bold, spineless, glossy and evergreen leaves. Another is the I. kingiana with spiny leaves measuring 17.5 centimeters and can develop into a 7 meters...
- GAYWINGS. Adkins, Leonard M. // Wildflowers Blue Ridge & Great Smoky Mountains;Apr2005, p172
The article offers detailed descriptions and information on Gaywings or Polygala paucifolia. It states that Gaywings has purplish-pink lateral sepals and evergreen leaves. The wildflower has been listed by various states in the U.S. as endangered species. The plant's blooming season is from May...
- Floral Fanfare. // Garden;Jul2006, Vol. 131 Issue 7, p458
The article presents photographs of new and unusual plants exhibited at the 2006 Royal Horticultural Society Chelsea Flower Show in Chelsea, England.