- The Western Red Lily. McKinnon, Shannon // Gardens West;Special Bulb Edition, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p60
The article offers information about the western red lily or the native wood lily, a wildflower commonly seen in the prairie regions of North America. With the scientific name Lilium philadelphicum, this flower has a hardiness level of zone 2. Considered as an endangered specie, its natural...
- A Checklist of the Vascular Flora of Crenshaw County, Alabama. Diamond Jr., Alvin R. // Castanea;Mar2011, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p64
The vascular flora of Crenshaw County, Alabama, was surveyed from 1987 to 2010. A total of 1171 taxa (species and hybrids) in 565 genera from 150 families are reported. Twenty-five taxa represented by herbarium specimens from Crenshaw County were not recollected during this study. The Inventory...
- GAYWINGS. Adkins, Leonard M. // Wildflowers Blue Ridge & Great Smoky Mountains;Apr2005, p172
The article offers detailed descriptions and information on Gaywings or Polygala paucifolia. It states that Gaywings has purplish-pink lateral sepals and evergreen leaves. The wildflower has been listed by various states in the U.S. as endangered species. The plant's blooming season is from May...
- Drop that lupine! // Money;Aug2000, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p31
Reports on Federal and State laws in the United States that prohibit the picking of endangered wildflowers. Fines and jail sentences as penalties for the illegal harvesting of flowers; Endangered flowers, including the purple coneflower, queen of the prairie, lady's slipper and others.
- In pictures: planting and design trends. // Horticulture Week;5/29/2015, p9
Several photographs of the natural planting and orange plants showcased by landscapers at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2015 are presented.
- Interisland Range Expansion of Viola lanaiensis ( Violaceae: Malpighiales), an Endangered Hawaiian Violet. Christopher Havran, J.; Oppenheimer, Hank; Keaton, Jacob; Piotrowski, Krystal // Pacific Science;Oct2012, Vol. 66 Issue 4, p447
The monophyletic Hawaiian violet lineage includes five species that are endangered or threatened. A new population of Viola was recently discovered on Helu Peak, West Maui. Individuals in the Helu Peak population appeared morphologically similar to critically imperiled Viola lanaiensis, endemic...
- Floral biology, breeding system and pollination ecology of an endangered tree Tetracentron sinense Oliv. (Trochodendraceae). Gan, Xiaohong; Cao, Lingling; Zhang, Xia; Li, Huaichun // Botanical Studies;Dec2013, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p1
Background: Tetracentron sinense Oliv. is an endangered tree mainly distributed in south-central China. The breeding system and pollination ecology of T. sinense are unclear. With a conservation perspective, the floral biology, breeding system and pollination ecology of Tetracentron sinense...
- RARE AND ENDEMK TAXA OF LEUCAS (LAMIACEAE) IN INDIA. Agnihotri, Priyanka; Dixit, Veena; Singh, Harsh; Paliwal, Ajay Kumar; Husain, Tariq // Journal of Threatened Taxa;Feb2014, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p5507
The article presents the distribution, flowering, fruiting, and herbarium details of various rare and endemic taxa. Among the details provided are the flowering and fruiting of the Leucas anandaraona from January to April, the distribution of the Leucas beddomei in India, and the representative...
- NATIONAL TREASURE. Tolmé, Paul // National Wildlife (World Edition);Jun/Jul2005, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p22
Focuses on the importance of banking native plants and wildflower seeds in biodiversity. Information on several seed banking efforts to preserve endangered wildflowers; Factors behind reproductive declines in wildflowers; Benefits from seed banking.