What is the value of scientific knowledge? An application
- Climate change a threat to insurers. Goddard, Sarah // Business Insurance;4/08/96, Vol. 30 Issue 15, p17
Warns that financial services companies, including insurers, must get involved in efforts to offset global warming if they are to have any future. Comments from Jeremy Leggett, scientific director of environmental lobbyist Greenpeace International; Effects of Global warming on insurance...
- It's time to reconsider global climate change policy. O'Keefe, William F. // USA Today Magazine;Mar97, Vol. 125 Issue 2622, p81
Opinion. Argues that policies aimed at reversing global warming should take into account the economies of the world. The claim that knowledge about the true causes of global warming is not comprehensive; The policies of the Clinton administration regarding fossil fuel emissions and global...
- Global warming balance sheet: What we really know. Schneider, Stephen H. // Christian Science Monitor;8/8/97, Vol. 89 Issue 178, p19
Opinion. Discusses the economic ramifications of the predicted continuance of global warming. The potential for ecological disruption from widescale temperature increases; Attempts to quantify the economic damages that would be caused by global warming; The possible connection between global...
- Jobs at Alcoa depend on Kyoto outcome. Milburn, Caroline // Issues;Aug/Oct97, Issue 40/41, p12
Focuses on the impact of Australia's stand on global warming on the employment at Alcoa's Point Henry factory. Effect of cuts in greenhouse emissions to Australia's economy; Soaring of electricity prices with greenhouse gas reduction measures.
- LETTER FROM THE EDITOR. Madrick, Jeff // Challenge (05775132);Jan/Feb2009, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p3
This article introduces the journal by relating its contents, which address issues such as the economic aspects of global warming, recessions, and the issues facing U.S. President Elect Barack Obama, to current events.
- Insurers can't cover costs of global warming, exec says. Goddard, Sarah // Business Insurance;10/07/96, Vol. 30 Issue 41, p43
Reports that insurance companies do not have the funds to cover the potential post-disaster reconstruction costs, according to Andrew Dlugolecki, group assistant general manager-underwriting at General Accident PLC in Scotland. Effect of global warming on the insurance industry.
- Agricultural impacts of global warming: Discussion. Innes, Robert; Kane, Sally // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Aug95, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p747
Discusses the impact of global warming on agriculture. Examination of three papers on global warming impact on agriculture; Ingredients needed in global warming studies; Problems and opportunities and climate change analysis.
- Conspiracy theorem. Pascoe, Michael // Bulletin with Newsweek;09/30/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6091, p74
Presents the author's humorous look at the concerns over global warming. Summary of the theories of Brian Tucker, formerly of CSIRO's atmospheric research unit; Australian business and greenhouse gases; Land clearing in Queensland and New South Wales.
- Exposure heats up. Unsworth, Edwin // Business Insurance;7/15/96, Vol. 30 Issue 29, p17
Reports on a report by the U.K. Climate Change Impacts Review Group for the British government, which claims that British insurers are at risk of a major increase in claims over the next 50 years as a result of global warming. Effects of global warming in Britain; Increased weather-related...