ALA receives grant for literacy initiative
- ala and you. // American Libraries;Oct86, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p719
Presents news that may be of interest to members of the United States-based American Library Association. Best undergraduate preparation for students entering a master of library science program; Workshop funds for the Association of College and Research Libraries and the Public Library...
- Dollar General Invests in the American Dream. Kniffel, Leonard // American Libraries;Sep2010, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p11
The article discusses the American Dream literacy initiative sponsored by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation and the American Library Association (ALA). It notes that the initiative focuses on adult English language learners with limited English skills and lacking functional literacy skills....
- The profession and its leaders: Mutual responsibilities. Bosseau, Don L.; Martin, Susan K. // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Sep96, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p376
Discusses leadership issues at the American Library Association (ALA). Impact of a visionary leader on an organization; Concern over the resignation of ALA executive director Elizabeth Martinez; Call for members' support of the ALA.
- ALA Goal 2000. // Emergency Librarian;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p65
Reports on the proposed $25 dues increase on the spring election ballot to support American Library Association (ALA) Goal 2000. Focus on positioning ALA as a major force for the public's right; Expansion of the ALA Washington Office; Strict cost-saving measures.
- ALA news. // Emergency Librarian;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p60
Reports on the availability of draft guidelines for providing public access to the Internet from the American Library Association (ALA). Emphasis on self-education; Establishment and implementation of written guidelines and policies; Techniques for using privacy screens.
- (DISABILITIES) Library Assn. Offers Award for Disability Services. // Community Health Funding Week;12/4/2009, p17
The article reports that the American Library Association invites nominations for the 2010 ASCLA/KLAS/NOD Award, sponsored by the Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA), Keystone Systems, Inc. and the National Organization on Disability (NOD).
- THE SOURCE. Mitchell, Pryse // American Libraries;May77, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p260
Presents news articles concerning libraries and library services published in the May 1977 issue of the periodical 'American Libraries.' Distribution of ballots for the 1977 American Library Association (ALA) elections; List of libraries who submitted Affirmative Action Plans to the Equal...
- An invitation to the ALA archives. Beckel, Deborah; Brichford, Maynard // American Libraries;Feb84, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p108
Focuses on the American Library Association's (ALA) archives at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. Uses of the ALA archival resources; Diversity of materials contained in the ALA archives; History of the archives.
- OUTSTANDING REFERENCE SOURCES OF 1984. Rosswurm, K.M. // American Libraries;May85, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p289
Lists several books selected by the Reference Sources Committee of the American Library Association and Adult Services Division in the United States. 'The Challenge of Aging: A Bibliography'; 'The Encyclopedia of Mammals'; 'Research Guide to Philosophy.'