ALA receives grant for literacy initiative
- ala and you. // American Libraries;Oct86, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p719
Presents news that may be of interest to members of the United States-based American Library Association. Best undergraduate preparation for students entering a master of library science program; Workshop funds for the Association of College and Research Libraries and the Public Library...
- Dollar General Invests in the American Dream. Kniffel, Leonard // American Libraries;Sep2010, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p11
The article discusses the American Dream literacy initiative sponsored by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation and the American Library Association (ALA). It notes that the initiative focuses on adult English language learners with limited English skills and lacking functional literacy skills....
- The profession and its leaders: Mutual responsibilities. Bosseau, Don L.; Martin, Susan K. // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Sep96, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p376
Discusses leadership issues at the American Library Association (ALA). Impact of a visionary leader on an organization; Concern over the resignation of ALA executive director Elizabeth Martinez; Call for members' support of the ALA.
- ALA Goal 2000. // Emergency Librarian;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p65
Reports on the proposed $25 dues increase on the spring election ballot to support American Library Association (ALA) Goal 2000. Focus on positioning ALA as a major force for the public's right; Expansion of the ALA Washington Office; Strict cost-saving measures.
- ALA news. // Emergency Librarian;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p60
Reports on the availability of draft guidelines for providing public access to the Internet from the American Library Association (ALA). Emphasis on self-education; Establishment and implementation of written guidelines and policies; Techniques for using privacy screens.
- (DISABILITIES) Library Assn. Offers Award for Disability Services. // Community Health Funding Week;12/4/2009, p17
The article reports that the American Library Association invites nominations for the 2010 ASCLA/KLAS/NOD Award, sponsored by the Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA), Keystone Systems, Inc. and the National Organization on Disability (NOD).
- Librarians release standards to help students filter information. Manzo, Kathleen Kennedy // Education Week;07/08/98, Vol. 17 Issue 42, p13
Reports that in 1998, the American Association of School Librarians released a set of standards entitled `Information Literacy Standards for Student Learning,' which are geared toward building students' skills in selecting print and electronic information. How students will benefit from these...
- THE SOURCE. Mitchell, Pryse // American Libraries;May77, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p260
Presents news articles concerning libraries and library services published in the May 1977 issue of the periodical 'American Libraries.' Distribution of ballots for the 1977 American Library Association (ALA) elections; List of libraries who submitted Affirmative Action Plans to the Equal...
- Reference and Subscription Books Review Committee. // American Libraries;Jan80, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p32
Reports on American Library Association Reference and Subscription Books Review Committee's celebration of the 50th anniversary of the first issue of 'Subscription Books Bulletin.' Emphasis on the committee's interest in consumer problems; Record of productivity since 1956.