Adult literacy and the Peninsula Regional Library Service
- No single measure: The national survey of adult literacy. Wickert, Rosie // APLIS;Sep90, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p133
Describes the background of the first adult literacy survey in Australia. Concepts of literacy; Reading attitudes; Writing attitudes; Writing practices; Potential for libraries and librarians to promote and develop literacy.
- Libraries and literacy: The role of Australian public libraries. Gibbs, Ross // APLIS;Sep90, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p123
Presents an overview of the involvement of Australian public libraries in adult literacy. Two approaches by public libraries; Literacy programs; Development of reading skills; Emergence of library promotion; Absence of planning; Absence of reporting; Documentation.
- Libraries partner with literacy programs. // Illinois Literacy;Fall2007, p2
The article lists various statistics on adult/volunteer literacy programs in Illinois, including the percentage of Illinois libraries participating in literacy programs, the number of libraries offering themselves as tutoring sites, and the number of libraries referring prospective students and...
- The Role of Library Services in Adult Literacy Education. Onohwakpor, J. E. // Library Philosophy & Practice;Spring2005, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p1
Discusses the role of library services in adult literacy education in Nigeria. Purposes of adult education; Recognition of the need for library service; Organization of library services for adult education; Need for adult educators to incorporate library services into adult education programs in...
- SIMPLE AS A PENNY PICNIC. Myers, Jane M. // Indiana Libraries;2008, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p80
The article discusses the initiatives advocating adult literacy in Indiana in 2008. It highlights the Indiana Literary Association (ILA), which for the last two years, has been meeting with the plan to expand adult volunteer literacy program to every county in the state. It relates on the...
- Literacy, Redefined. Deane, Paul // Library Journal;9/1/2004, Vol. 129 Issue 14, p49
This article explores what it means to be literate in the 21st century. Fifty years ago a high school graduate with some basic reading and writing ability could get a well-paying blue-collar job. Today a person at the same level might have trouble finding good work and may be considered...
- Libraries and literacy: `One of the best systems in the world because everyone can use it'. // APLIS;Jun95, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p86
Presents an edited version of chapter ten of `Enhancing Participation in Adult Literacy Programs,' an unpublished October 1994 report to the Commonwealth Department of Employment, Education and Training. Potential of public libraries in adult literacy; Role of libraries in Western Australia;...
- LOCAL NEWS AND EVENTS. // Collinsville Herald;8/29/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 35, pB2
The article offers news briefs related to the community of Collinsville, Edwardsville and Glen Carbon in Illinois as of August 29, 2012 including the Alcohol Countermeasure Enforcement (ACE) period of surveillance to be held by Illinois State Police, the unfounded reports received by...
- Open learning in public libraries. Osborne, Elizabeth // Adults Learning;Mar96, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p162
Focuses on the issues regarding the provision of open learning initiatives in public libraries in Great Britain. Role of public libraries in adult independent education; Open learning approach adapted by public libraries; Development of the practice; Implementation.