Some Massachusetts Lawmakers Mull Deficit Borrowing
- Dukakis Slashes $491 Million From Massachusetts Budget. R. R. // Education Week;8/2/1989, Vol. 8 Issue 40, p15
The article reports that the Governor of Massachusetts, Michael Dukakis, has used his line-item veto to cut nearly $500 million from a fiscal 1990 state budget that was already considered disastrous by educators. According to Dukakis the reduction was needed to balance the $12.7 billion budget...
- Dukakis's Foster-Care Policy Quietly Becomes Law. Freiberg, Peter // Advocate;9/13/88, Issue 507, p13
Focuses on Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis' signing a budget amendment that makes his foster-care policy a state law for one year. Barring of lesbians and gay men from becoming foster parents; Passage of a bill prohibiting placement of foster or adoptive children in gay households.
- DUKAKIS IN OFFICE. Keller, Jon // New Republic;7/4/88, Vol. 199 Issue 1, p15
Focuses on the performance of Michael Dukakis as governor of Massachusetts. Launch of a crusade against smoking in the Statehouse; Comment on massive increase in the state budget by Dukakis because of which the state is facing a deficit in billions; Account of the activities of Dukakis under his...
- LETTER FROM WASHINGTON. // National Review;8/19/1988, Vol. 40 Issue 16, p13
Focuses Michael Dukakis' budget for fiscal year 1989 in Boston, Massachusetts. Balanced budget plan of Dukakis; Proposed local aid to cities and towns; Acute care programs; Problems facing Michael Dukakis; Macroeconomic consequences of the budget.
- Dukakis backs federal auto choice legislation. Brostoff, Steven // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;09/14/98, Vol. 102 Issue 37, p2
Reports on former Massachusetts Governor Michael S. Dukakis' endorsement of automobile insurance choice legislation in a testimony he delivered before the Senate Commerce Committee. Provision of drivers the option of eliminating insurance for pain and suffering or covering pain and suffering on...
- RICH PICKINGS. Henry, James S. // New Republic;10/10/88, Vol. 199 Issue 15, p23
Focuses on the plans of presidential candidates addressing federal budget deficit. Proposals of U.S. President George Bush; Tax reform by Michael Dukakis, Governor of New York; Explosion of research on tax compliance; Report that the Internal Revenue Service estimates that the federal income tax...
- BROOKLINE DIARIST: Verities. Kuttner, Robert // New Republic;1/30/89, Vol. 200 Issue 5, p46
Presents information regarding political development taking place in the U.S. Comment on the renunciation of the fourth term of Governorship of Massachusetts by Michael Dukakis; Information that the Massachusetts state budget now faces a deficit of some $650 million; Opinion of the author on the...
- More on the Duke. // National Review;2/5/1988, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p18
Focuses on the actions of Michael Dukakis as governor of Massachusetts. Focus on the imposition of an income surtax as a temporary measure to balance the budget; Issue on the entrenchment of the temporary measure until its repeal under threat of a ballot initiative; Failure of Dukakis to...
- Cuomo Emulates Dukakis. Bruno, Joseph L. // National Review;4/1/1990, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p5
Presents a letter to the editor discussing the state budgets approved by New York Governor Mario Cuomo and Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis.