Moving Up the Masthead
- Cross Train Your Circ Team To Score Productivity Gains. Blanco, Carla // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;8/1/2001, Vol. 30 Issue 10, p47
Shares advice on how to develop the circulation staff in a publishing firm. Underutilized potential of the circulation staff due to the segmentation of the circulation department; Benefits from exposing employees to all facets of the circulation business; Importance of getting the support of...
- Desktop Publishers. // Occupational Outlook Handbook;2008, p1
The article describes the nature and other pertinent information related to the duties of desktop publishers. It includes information on their training, other qualifications and advancement and earnings are provided. An outlook over the supply and demand for their position is also discussed. A...
- The quest to sharpen skills. Beattie, Steven W. // Quill & Quire;Jun2008, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p23
The article focuses on the quest of employees at Canadian publishing industry to sharpen their skills despite the opportunities offered to them. Selina Rajani at Self-Counsel Press and Laraine J. Coates at Pacific Education Press have gathered employees from various firms to discuss...
- The Greek Publishing Industry and Professional Development. Banou, Christina; Phillips, Angus // Publishing Research Quarterly;Jun2008, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p98
In the Greek publishing industry, tradition and the desire for innovation go hand in hand. The industry is influenced by European developments in publishing and bookselling in terms of book promotion methods, the role of chain bookstores and the impact of information technology. Greece shares...
- The value of employee training. Calvacca, Lorraine // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;1999 Source Book, Vol. 28, p186
The article discusses the importance of employee training to the magazine publishing industry. The number of employees in the industry are declining as others move to different fields. Training ranks as one of the top priorities of companies as it is one of the retention tools for employees....
- Evidence based publishing. Tite, Leanne; Schroter, Sara // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/19/2006, Vol. 333 Issue 7564, p366
The article focuses on the ways the "British Medical Journal" is planning to change the ways it publishes its articles. The editors propose to use evidence based publishing, which will mean studying the way they do things, objectively appraising their own practices in pursuit of better...
- How to maintain editorial vitality. Limpert, John A. // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;Source Book 1994, Vol. 22 Issue 19, p254
Shows how to maintain interest of editorial staff of publications. Motivation of staff; Maintenance of morale; Sharing of praise. INSET: Business publishers: Editorial checklist..
- Major league trades. // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;12/15/94, Vol. 23 Issue 21, p50
Presents the major magazine publication personnel trades for 1994. Anne Sutherland Fuchs to senior vice president of Hearst Magazines Inc.; Charles Townsend to `Glamour'; Mitchell Fox to `Vanity Fair.'
- Heavy on the humbug, Santa. staff, Folio // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;1/15/94, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p17
Reports on an annual survey of publishing companies and their respective holiday celebrations. Advertising pages and revenue for November 1993; On-site parties for Time Inc., Newsweek and the New York Times Company Women's Magazines Group; Off-site galas for various other publishers.