Massachusetts Gov. Orders Cuts, Wants Special Session
- Swift rise, steep fall, and a shot at history. Sappenfield, Mark // Christian Science Monitor;2/16/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 58, p1
Discusses the outlook for the Massachusetts gubernatorial term of Jane Swift, in light of the fact that she will give birth while in office.
- As Deadline Looms, Massachusetts Governor Readies Her Own Recovery Budget. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;11/14/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31265, p5
Reports that Massachusetts Governor Jane Swift will institute her own recovery budget. Estimated budget deficit faced by the state; Elimination of state jobs and reduction in state aid to municipalities; Use of reserve money judiciously for the development of state; Approval of income tax...
- Deadline Past, Massachusetts Governor Offers Her Own Deficit-Reduction Plan. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;11/20/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31269, p3
Reports that Jane Swift, Governor of Massachusetts, has given the state's legislature her proposal for reducing the state's multi-billion dollar budget deficit. Plans of the State's lawmakers to announce their budget plan; Reason why the state has been operating on an interim budget.
- A Mom for Massachusetts. McGinn, Daniel // Newsweek;2/26/2001, Vol. 137 Issue 9, p37
Focuses on Massachusetts lieutenant governor Jane Swift. How Swift will become the youngest governor in the United States when governor Paul Celluci becomes ambassador to Canada; Details of Swift who has one daughter and is pregnant with twins; Question of whether a female elected official can...
- Mass. Looks at Fees, Service Cuts. // American Libraries;Dec2002, Vol. 33 Issue 11, p27
Reports that Massachusetts Acting Governor Jane Swift cut $200 million in spending from higher education, medical care, and assistance to towns and cities. Budget deficit in Massachusetts; Impact of the cuts on public and regional libraries; Possibility that libraries will be forced to phase...
- Deficit greets new Mass. gov. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;1/21/2015, pA02
New Gov. Charlie Baker, a Republican, said the state faces a $765 mil deficit through the end of the June fiscal year. Tax revenue has been on target, but spending has gone over budget for public employee health, sheltering the homeless and, especially, Medicaid. After the state's ObamaCare...
- New mothers return to work sooner than ever. Gardner, Marilyn // Christian Science Monitor;5/23/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 125, p15
Discusses changes being made to maternity leaves in the United States, in light of the working maternity leave of acting Massachusetts governor Jane Swift.
- Swift succeeds Cellucci. // State Government News;May2001, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p8
Reports on the confirmation of Jane Swift as the first female governor of Massachusetts.
- Jane Swift, and the feminists' dilemma. Clift, Elayne // Christian Science Monitor;5/25/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 127, p11
Discusses the situation of acting Massachusetts governor Jane Swift, as being mother of newborn twins and attempting to balance her family life with an involved career.