Lawmakers consider changes to cash balance plan regulations
- Cash balance outcry comes as a shock. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;12/20/99, Vol. 33 Issue 51, p28
Discusses the emergence of cash balance pension plan conversions in 1999. Proposed legislation which would require an employer to give its employees greater notice of a cash balance plan conversion; Requirement for disclosure of information about the potential financial impact of the conversion...
- Survey of Cash Balance Conversions. Sher, Lawrence J. // Benefits Quarterly;2001 First Quarter, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p19
Challenges the validity of major criticisms faced by employers sponsoring cash balance plans and their advisors by examining data on actual conversions to cash balance pension plans. Claims against the cash balance design; Examination of some key aspects of the plan designs before and after the...
- Ask a benefit manager. Nirtaut, Dennis J. // Business Insurance;10/11/99, Vol. 33 Issue 41, p23
Answers an employer's question on cash balance pension plans in the United States. Description of a cash balance plan as a hybrid pension plan; Elements of a cash balance plan; Employers' contributions; Comparison between a cash balance plan and a typical defined benefit plan; Disclosure...
- Employers deserve what they get from Washington. Quinn, Richard D. // Employee Benefit News;Aug99, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p52
Focuses on the popularity of cash balance pension plan. How some employers convert to cash plan from a traditional final average plan; Benefits of cash balance plans.
- Getting details right eases cash balance conversions. Gunsauley, Craig // Employee Benefit News;Aug2000, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p47
Discusses how Aetna and IBM Corp. implemented the conversion of traditional pension plans to cash balance plans for employees. Replication of benefits; Key to the success of cash balance transitions; Implication of the conversions of IBM.
- Cash balance plans expand the retirement field. Silva, Chris // Employee Benefit News;Jan2008, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p41
The article reports on the increasing interest by U.S. employers in cash balance plans which prompted service providers and consultants to offer new tool, such as the defined benefit model. It is stated that the adoption of the benefit model by various service providers could make it easier on...
- Cash Balance Plans Do Not Violate Age-Based Reduction Rules. // Legal-Legislative Reporter;Oct2008, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p5
The article discusses the case Hirt et al. v. the Equitable Retirement Plan for Employees, Manager and Agents et al., and Bryerton et al. v. Verizon Communications Inc. et al., wherein the U.S. Court of Appeals for the second Circuit found that cash balance plans do not inherently result in an...
- BALANCING CASH-BALANCE PLANS. Caudill, April K. // Journal of Financial Service Professionals;Jan2004, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p35
The article presents information on the ways a defined-benefit plan can be converted and the future direction that conversions may take. Many of the fundamental issues for keeping the tax advantage retirement plans were settled in 1974 with the adoption of the U.S. Employee Retirement Income...
- NEWS SUMMARIES. // Benefits & Compensation Digest;Feb2009, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p37
The article presents abstracts on employee benefits and compensation topics which include an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) distribution policy, cash balance pension plans, and strategies for employee recognition.