THE OVERLOOKED CONSTITUTIONAL OBJECTION AND PRACTICAL CONCERNS TO PENALTY-ENHANCEMENT PROVISIONS OF HATE CRIME LEGISLATION
- NEW YORK'S HATE CRIMES ACT OF 2000: PROBLEMATIC AND REDUNDANT LEGISLATION AIMED AT SUBJECTIVE MOTIVATION. MacNamara, Brian S. // Albany Law Review;2003, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p519
Comments on the Hate Crimes Act of 2000 of the New York State Legislature. Background on the hate crime legislation; Details of New York's hate crimes statute; Discussion of whether criminal law is an effective means of addressing bias.
- ALASKA: Anchorage Democrat wants to elevate hate crimes. // Gay & Lesbian Times;3/11/2010, Issue 1159, p18
The article reports that senators in Alaska are considering a legislative bill related to hate crimes in the state.
- U.S. House passes hate crimes bill. Margasak, Larry // Bay Windows;4/30/2009, Vol. 27 Issue 20, p4
The article reports that hate crimes bill was passed by the U.S. House on April 30, 2009, over conservatives' objections.
- NEWS IN BRIEF: WYOMING. // Advocate;3/12/91, Issue 572, p28
Reports on gay and lesbian activists' call for a proposed state hate-crimes bill in Wyoming to be amended to include penalties for antigay attacks.
- Congress looks at hate crimes. Dervarics, Charles // Community College Week;12/01/97, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p12
Focuses on a legislation before Congress which requires postsecondary institutions including community colleges to begin collection of data on hate crimes. Amendment of the existing law; Detail of the Campus HateCrimes Right to Know Act of 1997; Requirements of the bill.
- Does hate crime legislation help end hateful conduct? Williams, Armstrong // New York Amsterdam News;11/04/99, Vol. 90 Issue 45, p8
Comments on the possible failure of hate crime legislation in the United States. Hate and human nature; Question of accuracy in the perception of hate crimes; Case examples.
- Hate-Crime Bill Would Alter Form of Government. Weyrich, Paul M. // Human Events;07/28/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 27, p9
Focuses on the hate crime bill passed by the United States (U.S.) Senate. Sponsors of the bill; Opposition of the U.S. House to the bill; Explanation on how the bill will change the legal system of the country; Criticism on the bill.
- The Hate Debate. Spong, John // Texas Monthly;Apr2001, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p64
Deals with a legislative bill on hate crimes in Texas. Background information on the James Byrd Jr., Hate Crime Act; Why hate crimes law stir up so much emotion; Difference of hate crimes law from an otherwise identical crime that lacks the element of hate; Stance of the United States Supreme...
- U.S. House passes bill to add attacks on gays to hate crime law. // Gay & Lesbian Times;5/10/2007, Issue 1011, p18
The article reports on the passage of a bill that would expand federal hate crime categories to include violent attacks against gays and people targeted because of gender by the U.S. House. The legislation also would make it easier for federal law enforcement to take part in or assist local...