RACIAL PREFERENCES IN ADMISSIONS: MYTHS, HARMS, AND ALTERNATIVES
- Timeline on Sheff vs. O'Neill. // District Administration;May2003, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p12
Reports on a complaint of a fourth grader that schools in Hartford, Connecticut are segregated and promote racial and ethnic isolation. State Supreme Court's order to desegregate Hartford's schools; Expansion of a suburban school choice program for Hartfold students.
- The fog around us. Scherer, Marge // Educational Leadership;Dec97/Jan98, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p5
Editorial. Discusses about desegregation which was viewed by minority critics as a racial insult. Actions being taken by society towards becoming a land of equal opportunity; Problems in desegregated schools.
- Missed Opportunities, Enduring Legacies: School Segregation and Desegregation in Kansas City, Missouri. Gotham, Kevin Fox // American Studies (00263079);Summer2002, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p5
Focuses on the racial discrimination on the education system in Kansas City, Missouri. Racial segregation in local schools; Role of the state government in creating racially segregated schools; Relation between school administrative decisions and housing patterns in the community.
- A blot on the profession. Lowry, Stella; MacPherson, Gordon // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);3/5/1988, Vol. 296 Issue 6623, p657
Focuses on the racial discrimination practiced in medical schools in Great Britain. Evidence of discrimination for admissions policy in St George's Hospital Medical School; Recommendation of the Commission for Racial Equality to avoid discrimination in medical schools; Explanation for the...
- Race Board finds consensus elusive on public schools. Dervarics, Charles // Black Issues in Higher Education;01/08/98, Vol. 14 Issue 23, p12
Reports on the findings of the President Bill Clinton's Advisory Board on Race in relation to race in public schools. Details on the December 17, 1997 forum; Comments from William Bennett, former education secretary; Opposition to the used of charter schools in various communities to promote...
- Racial Harassment Sparks Free Speech Debate at Harvard Law. Petrosino, Frankie J. // New Crisis (15591603);Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 110 Issue 1, p12
Reports on the complaints of racial harassment involving Harvard Law School. Implication of the incidents for an academic environment; Policy proposed to address the issue.
- University of Texas Law School Fights to Maintain Diversity after Hopwood. // Academe;May/Jun99, Vol. 85 Issue 3, p13
Reports on the University of Texas Law School's efforts to thwart attempts of discrimination in the enrollment of students. Hopland v. Texas case; Programs to attract diverse student population; Hardwork as replacement to discriminating policy for enrollment
- I Sat With Nikki. Golding, Micaela // 21st Century;Feb96, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p8
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of being discriminated against at school.
- Boston Board Votes To End Era of Race-Based Assignment. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;08/04/99, Vol. 18 Issue 43, p5
Features the decision of Boston school officials in Massachusetts, to end the use of race as a factor in determining where students go to school. Details on the lawsuit filed by white parents and advocates of neighborhood schools; Adoption of a race-blind admissions policy; Comments from...