Cities and Superfund: Encouraging Brownfield Redevelopment
- Brownfield Proposal Gets Bush's Support. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;02/28/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31086, p4
Reports on the United States government's support for a legislative proposal to provide funding to local governments, states and Indian tribes to help clean up so-called brownfields. Amount allocated for the proposed project; Estimated number of brownfields in the U.S.
- Tax Plan Could Boost Brownfield Cleanups. DeCapua, Daniel // Grand Rapids Business Journal;03/27/2000, Vol. 18 Issue 13, p3
Reports on the progress of legislation aimed at increasing the number of brownfield redevelopments in Michigan. Proposed expansion of the type of property eligible for the program; Increase in the maximum Single Business Tax credit per project; Effectiveness of urban site redevelopment as a way...
- Bush Brownfields Pledge Nixes Superfund Reform. Franz, Neil // Chemical Week;3/7/2001, Vol. 163 Issue 10, p46
Focuses on a bipartisan bill that would hasten the redevelopment of brownfields but would affect efforts to overhaul the Superfund program in the United States in 2001. Clarification on the authority of the Environmental Protection Agency over the clean-up of hazardous waste sites; Progress of...
- Bipartisan legislation to speed up BROWNFIELDS CLEANUP. // Industrial Safety & Hygiene News;Feb2002, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p12
Reports that the bipartisan brownfields legislation passed by the U.S. Congress will make the cleanup of brownfields more effective. Brownfield revitalization; Provisions of the Small Business Liability Relief and Brownfields Revitalization Act; Funding for brownfield cleanup.
- Brownfield Bill Passes Senate. // National Mortgage News;05/07/2001, Vol. 25 Issue 32, p46
Reports on the United States Senate's approval of a bill that could expedite the cleanup of brownfield sites and possibly open up low-cost land for affordable housing projects. Aspects of the legislation; Estimated number of brownfield sites.
- New blueprints for brownfields. Flamm, Matthew // Crain's New York Business;04/16/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 16, p48
Highlights the need for legislation that would speed the cleanup of abandoned industrial sites in New York City. Pockets of vacant or underutilized brownfields; Employment of lenient cleanup standards based on the intended use of the land; Nonprofit organization The Profit's identification of...
- Environmental law update. Shapiro, Melinda R. // Indiana Business Magazine;Aug99, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p22
Reports on environmental legislation developments in Indiana as of August 1999. Legislative solutions to encourage redevelopment of property that are abandoned or under-used for fear of environmental liability; Voluntary remediation efforts; Brownfield cleanups; Transfer of liability.
- Superfund reform introduced. // Business Insurance;03/29/99, Vol. 33 Issue 13, p2
Reveals the efforts of the United States House of Representatives to revive Superfund reform through a new legislation introduced by Sherwood Boehlert. Goal of the bill to target the cleanup and redevelopment of brownfields.
- conclusion. // Risks & Rewards of Brownfield Development;1997, p28
The author reflects upon the problems inhibiting the redevelopment of brownfield sites including hazardous waste cleanup. The author cites issues such as unnecessary environmental regulation which he believes make it difficult for the free market to act on brownfield redevelopment. The author...