`A model rural parish': Priests and people in the Michigan `Thumb,' 1923-1928
- Just how bad is it? Feuerherd, Joe // National Catholic Reporter;10/17/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 44, p3
Discusses the priest shortage crisis in the Catholic Church in the United States. Factors causing the decrease in the number of priests; Effect of the priest shortage on parish life; Rise in the number of parishes without a resident priest.
- An African priest: Shortage of American priests leads to more diversity in the nation's Catholic churches. Morgan, Mandy // National Catholic Reporter;10/17/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 44, p6
Discusses the diversity in the Catholic churches in the U.S. due to the presence of foreign priests. Reversal of the role of the country in sending missionaries; Common nationalities of foreign-born priests; Problems encountered by foreign priests in administering their functions.
- John Paul outlines evangelization in Africa. // Christian Century;10/11/95, Vol. 112 Issue 28, p921
Reports on the evangelization plans of the Roman Catholic Church for Africa outlined by Pope John Paul II. John Paul's comments on political change; Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation document; Call for reconciliation of warring parties; Favor for incorporation of African rituals into the...
- A Catholic Revival. McLaughlin, John // America;6/18/1960, Vol. 103 Issue 12, p368
The article focuses on the Great Mission in Montreal, Quebec. It mentions that the mission is set to revive the vanishing species on the contemporary religious scenes like the parish mission. The mission was simultaneously conducted on the 252 parishes of the Montreal diocese, with its theme...
- An Addition or Two. Foster, George // America;11/1/1919, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p29
The article discusses issues related to the social activities and responsibilities of the Catholic Church in the U.S., focusing on funding, funds disbursements and debts. It presents a list of categories of activities of which Catholic Church was involved at which were the parochial, diocesan...
- Catholic evangelizing in one colonial mission:... Barnes, Andrew E. // Catholic Historical Review;Apr98, Vol. 84 Issue 2, p240
Describes the development of the Catholic evangelistic mission in the Northern Province of the British colony of Nigeria during the colonial era. Illustration of the complexity of the social and historical forces involved in shaping the institutional character of the mission; Details on the...
- The eager evangelists. // America;1/21/1950, Vol. 82 Issue 16, p459
The article details the experience of a group of seven evangelists from Texas who traveled to Italy to teach about the Catholic Church. The evangelists were prompted to visit Italy after hearing about how the country was too superstitious and how it sunk in Papistical godlessness. However, some...
- Heart of the matter. // Our Sunday Visitor;10/9/2011, Vol. 100 Issue 24, p19
This article comments on the promotion of new evangelization by the Catholic Church in 2011.
- Vatican document envisions culture as a partner, not a peril. McBrien, Richard P. // National Catholic Reporter;09/10/99, Vol. 35 Issue 39, p27
Commends the document released by the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Culture that deals with the opportunities and challenges for a pastoral approach to culture. Analysis on the content of the document; Discussion on the role of culture in evangelism.