For the birds
- Choose the Right Feeders. Jolie, Diane // Birder's World;Oct2001, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p30
Offers tips in selecting feeders for birds. Types of bird feeders; Advantages of bird feeder varieties; Description of the bird feeders.
- The Winter Banquet. Kress, Stephen W. // Audubon;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p80
Discusses the advantages and disadvantages of backyard bird feeding. Association of backyard bird feeding with nest predation; How feeding birds affect migration; Information on several feeders every yard should have; Why birds do not stick to metal feeder parts during subfreezing temperature.
- Foiling the Cat Burglars. // All Animals;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p37
The article offers tips on how to make a separate feeder for birds and cat burglars to ensure safety of animals.
- Bird Feeding Goes High-Tech. Ebersole, Rene S. // Audubon;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p84
Covers information on several innovated bird feeders. Bird-Vu Wireless Audio/Video Bird Feeding Station; VR-100 Birdcam camera; Songview in-house window feeder. INSET: What's on the Menu.
- ECO-FRIENDLY BIRD FEEDERS. Walsh, Michelle Byrne // Chicagoland Gardening;Jan/Feb2006, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p8
The article features Environmental Birdfeeders, a line of bird feeders introduced by Novato, California-based Smith & Hawken. The distinction of the products over other bird feeders is emphasized. The materials used to develop the products are noted. Information on prices and product...
- The birds and the bears: Smart bird feeding in bear country. Masterson, Linda // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;May/Jun2008, Vol. 92 Issue 3, p79
The article offers tips for smart bird feeding in bear country. It suggests to try suspending bird feeders out of reach of birds, at least 10 feet off the ground and 10 feet from anything climbable. Also stressed is the need to hang hummingbird and nectar feeders because they are filled with...
- A Bird-Resistant Feeder for Smart Squirrels Only. // Fun For Kidz;May/Jun2004, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p36
Provides information on making a bird-resistant feeder for squirrels. Materials needed; Directions on making the feeder's parts; Ways to set up the feeder outside.
- The Birds Is Coming! Nowak, Mike // Chicagoland Gardening;May/Jun2007, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p106
The author relates his experience of feeding sparrows. He says that he purchased a bird feeder because he wanted some birds to visit his backyard garden. He notes that approximately forty thousand English Sparrows and one female and male cardinal have arrived in the backyard. He states that he...
- Bird feeders for the window. Kimber, R. // Country Journal;Jan/Feb92, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p66
Discusses various types of window bird feeders that are available. Classic wooden tray; Clear plastic feeder that sticks to a window with suction cups such as those made by Aspects Inc.; `Window box' feeders including the Viewmaster.