The truth about lesbian seagulls
- FLIPPING HETS THE BIRD. // Lesbian Tide;Jan/Feb78, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p20
This article reports that when ornithologists George and Molly Hunt started to observe the western gulls on Santa Barbara Island, off the coast of Los Angeles, California, they were puzzled by nests containing extra eggs. Normally, a female gull never lays more than three, which arose the...
- And Now For What Animals Do In Bed. // Glamour;10/ 1/2012, Vol. 110 Issue 10, p184
The article offers trivia on animals' sexual behavior including lesbianism among desert grassland whiptail lizards, fetishes among rats and homosexuality in sheep.
- Desert-nesting Sea Gulls. Howell, Thomas R. // Natural History;Aug82, Vol. 91 Issue 8, p52
Discusses the breeding behavior of the gray gull of South America. Location of breeding grounds; Maternal behavior; Description of the incubation period.
- PHOTO CHALLENGE. Hough, Julian // Connecticut Warbler;Oct2008, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p173
The article explains the differences between the bird species, Laughing and Franklin's Gulls. Laughing Gulls do not breed in the state of Connecticut, but in late summer and early fall birds from nearby breeding colonies. Franklin Gulls, meanwhile, are an abundant breeding gull of the midwestern...
- Numerical and behavioural response of Black-headed Gull Chroicocephalus ridibundus on population growth of the expansive Caspian Gull Larus cachinnans. Skórka, Piotr; Wójcik, Joanna; Martyka, Rafał; Lenda, Magdalena // Journal of Ornithology;Jul2012, Vol. 153 Issue 3, p947
We monitored population size from 1996 to 2003 and studied behavioural interactions (in 2001) between the native Black-headed Gull Chroicocephalus ridibundus and an expansive, opportunistic predator, the Caspian Gull Larus cachinnans, at water reservoirs in Poland. The expansive species caused a...
- This item is for Robin Metcalfe. // Body Politic;Jun/Jul78, Issue 44, p17
Reports that researchers have discovered lesbian relationships among seagulls. Reproduction and mating activity of lesbian seagulls.
- United States: thou art no Romeo-- famed swan couple is all- female. Verma, Priya; Hafiz, Amina; Douglas, Carol Anne; Pleatman, Rachel; Harris, Jennifer Chapin // Off Our Backs;Sep/Oct2005, Vol. 35 Issue 9/10, p9
The article focuses on the beloved pair of swans in Boston, Massachusetts. Considered as one of the Hub's most celebrated summer attractions, the pair is a same-sex couple. The city has kept swans at the Public Garden lagoon for 16 summers. The breeder told the city that both were female, a good...
- Factors affecting nest-site selection of Sabine's Gulls in the eastern Canadian Arctic. Stenhouse, Iain J.; Gilchrist, H. Grant; Montevecchi, William A. // Canadian Journal of Zoology;Sep2005, Vol. 83 Issue 9, p1240
The selection of breeding habitat is of prime importance for individual fitness. Among birds, natural selection should favour the ability to recognize and select habitat suitable for nesting and rearing chicks. This study compares the characteristics of Sabine's Gull, Xema sabini (Sabine, 1819),...
- Inter-sexual differences in T-cell-mediated immunity of black-headed gull chicks (Larus ridibundus) depend on the hatching order. Müller, Wendt; Dijkstra, Cor; Groothuis, Ton G. G. // Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology;
Hatching asynchrony in avian species leads to age and size differences between nestlings within a brood, handicapping last-hatched chicks in the sibling rivalry. Starvation due to this competitive disadvantage has been regarded as the primary cause of an increase in mortality with hatching...