NAEP reports modest gains in math and science scores
- Funding Higher Education. Straub, Philip J. // Advisor Today;Nov2002, Vol. 97 Issue 11, p76
Focuses on the funding of higher education in the United States. Accumulation of money on a tax-favored basis; Changes to Qualified State Tuition Program.
- Labor crisis. LEWIS, JON // Afterimage;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p4
Reports on the growth of academic workforce in the United States. Its failure to keep up with the growth of students; Importance of higher education in social mobility; Problems facing the academe.
- Inspiring words for educators. Spark, Muriel; Walker, Lou Ann; Mill, John Stuart // Curriculum Review;Jan2002, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p1
Presents inspiring words for educators in the United States. Announcement of classrooms for homeless children; Details on motivational techniques; Impact of school errors to students.
- Inspiring words for educators. // Curriculum Review;May2002, Vol. 41 Issue 9, VIEWS YOU CAN USE p1
Presents quotations to help professional educators in the U.S. Development of learning among old individuals; Creation of endowment to reward high-performing teachers; Interest in funding college scholarships for teenagers.
- An Alternative Definition of Quality of Undergraduate College Education. Nordvall, Robert C.; Braxton, John M. // Journal of Higher Education;Sep/Oct96, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p483
Critiques traditional approaches to defining the quality of higher education in United States. Alternative perspective that overcomes limitations of traditional approaches; Focus on fundamental course-level academic processes; Level of understanding of course content expected of students.
- Break the mold. Daggett, Willard // Vocational Education Journal;Mar96, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p54
Comments on the state of vocational education in the United States. Education system's inability to keep pace with the expanding knowledge and skill requirements needed by graduates; Education standards and reform; Challenges for the vocational education teacher.
- CAPITOL briefs. // Community College Week;9/17/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p3
Provides information on issues surrounding higher education in the United States Congress as of September 17, 2001. Spendings for Pell Grants and work/study programs; Information on the `Fed.Up' initiative in the House of Representatives; Calls of community colleges for the Education Department...
- US schools slip back toward segregation. Russell Chaddock, Gail; Coeyman, Marjorie; Jonsson, Patrik // Christian Science Monitor;7/18/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 163, p2
Discusses segregation in schools in the United States, in light of evidence that schools are becoming more racially segregated, and the view that the focus should be on student achievement rather than racial composition of schools.
- Where is the middle ground? Durden, William G. // Education Week;10/4/95, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p48
No abstract available.
- Sure Changes for Colleges in the Future. Levine, Arthur E. // Education Digest;Jan2001, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p54
Presents changes suggested to transform colleges and universities in the United States. Details on brick and click universities; Shift from teaching to learning; Role of course program degrees in the student's future.