Quest to wring more oil from Alaska north slope
- INNOVATIONS OF THE NORTH SLOPE. Jones, Patricia // Alaska Business Monthly;Jun2002, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p16
Reports the technological innovations used by oil companies to promote crude oil production in North Slope, Alaska. Type of technology applied by the companies; Major concentration on the technology and research efforts of the companies; Economical method for the supply of heavy oil.
- Inupiat Health and Proposed Alaskan Oil Development: Results of the First Integrated Health Impact Assessment/Environmental Impact Statement for Proposed Oil Development on Alaska’s North Slope. Wernham, Aaron // EcoHealth;Dec2007, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p514
A correction to the article “Inupiat Health and Proposed Alaskan Oil Development: Results of the First Integrated Health Impact Assessment/ Environmental Impact Statement for Proposed Oil Development on Alaska's North Slope” that was published on November 15, 2007 is presented.
- GAS-TO-LIQUIDS TEST PLANT RISES IN NIKISKI. Loshbaugh, Doug // Alaska Business Monthly;Jan2001, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p52
Reports the selection of Nikiski as the site of facility to test potential gas-to-liquids technology in Alaska. Options for getting North Slope gas to market including the gas-to-liquid (GTL) method by BP Exploration; Conversion of methane gas into synthetic crude oil; Advantages of the GTL...
- Journey to the center of the Earth. Pope, G.T. // Popular Mechanics;May91, Vol. 168 Issue 5, p27
Examines how engineers are pushing the frontiers of technology and geology by drilling miles into the Earth's crust. Drilling of the Kola hole in the Soviet Union; Kontinentales Tiefbohrprogramm (KTB) in Bavaria, Germany; Current projects in United States.
- Tips for better boring. Lohner, Klaus // Modern Machine Shop;Jun94, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p52
Presents guidelines to help establish optimal speeds and feeds for boring operations. Proven steps; Basic principles; Importance of boring in machining.
- Hole making has strategic importance. Scott, Norman // Modern Machine Shop;Jun94, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p72
Presents information on the strategic importance of hole making. Strategic and tactical advantages; Replaceable-insert drill; Boring eliminated; Reduced cycle time; Special scrutiny.
- Deep Boring project. // Presidents & Prime Ministers;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p35
Reports on the results of the studies of the Continental Deep Boring project in Windischeschenbach, Germany.
- Mysteries of Lake Vostok about to be revealed. Dessibourg, Olivier // New Scientist;1/8/2011, Vol. 209 Issue 2794, p01
The article focuses on a Russian drill that is 100 meters from penetrating the ice covering Lake Vostok which has been under 4 kilometers of Antarctic ice for 14 million years.
- ODP testing hammer drilling, casing unit. Furlow, William // Offshore;Sep98, Vol. 58 Issue 9, p28
Reports on the Ocean Drilling Program's coming testing of a drilling system designed to drill large-diameter casing into hard fractured rock on the seafloor. How water hammer drilling works.