House allows state control of illegal immigrant education
- French police raid church, seize African immigrants. // Jet;9/9/96, Vol. 90 Issue 17, p56
Discusses a summer 1996 raid of a Paris church by French riot police. Expulsion of 300 Africans; Government claim they are illegal aliens; Protest of raid; Ten of immigrants on a hunger strike; Details about the immigrants.
- Sanctuary suit. // Christian Century;5/20/87 - 5/27/87, Vol. 104 Issue 17, p489
Discusses the ruling of a San Francisco federal court that gives religious groups the legal right to protest prosecutions of their workers who give sanctuary to undocumented Central American aliens.
- Can crackdown halt border crossings? Wood, Daniel B. // Christian Science Monitor;5/8/96, Vol. 88 Issue 114, p4
Makes various observations on the toughening of laws on illegal aliens in California. Comments of Vibiana Andrade of the Immigrant Rights Program for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund; Call of the Senate for a mandatory pilot program to verify immigrants' legal status;...
- Five people were sentenced. MacLachlan, Suzanne; Mutch, David // Christian Science Monitor;4/18/95, Vol. 87 Issue 99, p2
Reports on the sentencing of five people in Seattle for smuggling illegal aliens into the US from India and Pakistan.
- Illegal immigrants. McCollum, Sean // Junior Scholastic;11/5/93, Vol. 96 Issue 6, p2
Discusses the United States' problem with illegal immigration. Growth in the number of illegal immigrants in the country; United States as a nation of immigrants and descendants of immigrants; Reasons for illegal immigration; Mexico as the largest source of illegal immigrants; Americans'...
- Illegal immigration. // Junior Scholastic;11/5/93, Vol. 96 Issue 6, p5
Presents the countries of origin and destinations of illegal immigrants in the United States. Top ten states where illegal immigrants settle; Top ten countries of origin for illegal immigrants living in the United States.
- Is proposition 187 needed? // Junior Scholastic;2/24/95, Vol. 97 Issue 13, p20
Presents a debate on Proposition 187 which prohibits the state of California from spending money on the education, social services and health care for illegal immigrants. Aim of the proposition in stopping illegal immigration; Proposition as a wrong way to handle immigration problems.
- Slamming the golden door. Martz, L.; Gibney Jr., F. // Newsweek;5/9/1988, Vol. 111 Issue 19, p18
With the end of amnesty for illegal aliens, immigration officials are cracking down again, in an effort more sweeping and severe than ever to keep illegals from crossing US borders. The Immigration and Naturalization Service will also be tougher on employers, requiring new forms certifying...
- Immigration policy puts employers in a tough spot. // Inside Tucson Business;04/21/97, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p4
Editorial. Comments that illegal aliens are more a hardship than a boon for American employers. Inability of employers to detect between valid and invalid cards; Failure of the federal government to coordinate efforts against illegal workers.
- A difference in justice. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;4/3/95, Vol. 6 Issue 24, p4
Comments on the injustice over the unequivocal reaction of the world towards the illegal immigrant policy of Iraq and the United States. Iraqi mistreatment of illegal aliens; Decision to deny free medical care and other services to illegal aliens in the United States.