The Country of the Pointed Firs
- Visions of time in The Country of the Pointed Firs. Graham, Margaret Baker // Studies in Short Fiction;Winter95, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p29
Presents an interpretation of Sarah Orne Jewett's `The Country of the Pointed Firs'. Perspectives on feminist theory; Narrative structure; Theory of time.
- The Country of the Pointed Firs. // Victoria;Jul97, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p111
Presents excerpts from the novel `The Country of Pointed Firs,' by Sarah Orne Jewett, which was first published in 1896. Story of inhabitants of fictional town on the Maine coast.
- The country of the pointed firs. // Victoria;Aug97, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p124
Presents an excerpt from the book `The Country of the Pointed Firs,' by Sarah Orne Jewett.
- The country of the pointed firs. Young, Al R. // Victoria;Sep97, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p121
Presents an excerpt from `The Country of the Pointed Firs,' by Sarah Orne Jewett. Tale of a young woman whose heart was broken by an unfaithful suit; Woman's withdrawal to remote Shell-heap Island.
- The Country Of The Pointed Firs // Magill Book Reviews;
A young woman writer near the turn of the century spends the summer getting to know the inhabitants of an isolated Maine seaport. This novel celebrates the old folkways and mourns their passing as technology encroaches.
- A Woman's Psychological Journey in Jewett's "The King of Folly Island" Church, Joseph // Essays in Literature;Fall96, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p234
Discusses the book `The King of Folly Island,' by Sarah Orne Jewett. Depiction of provincial life; Evidence in the use of narratives to address the psychological and sociological conditions of women; Interest in women's subjection to man's familial prerogatives.
- The Manley Arts. Manley, Will // Booklist;05/01/2001, Vol. 97 Issue 17, p1645
Suggests several books that can be given as gifts. `The Ambassadors,' by Henry James; `The Country of the Pointed Firs,' by Sarah Orne Jewett.
- Fathers, daughters, slaves: The haunted scene of writing in Jewett's `In Dark New England Days'. Church, Joseph // ATQ;Sep91, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p205
Focuses on the relationship between daughters and fathers in Sarah Orne Jewett's `In Dark New England Days.' Summary of the narrative; Impact of the father's death; American slavery and its effect on society.
- A visit to `The Country of the Pointed Firs'. Toth, Susan Allen // Victoria;Sep96, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p80
Profiles writer Sarah Orne Jewett. Author's fascination with Jewett's Dunnet Landing in the novel `The Country of the Pointed Firs'; description of Jewett's environment; Features of Jewett's house in Maine.