Statistics corner: Revising classifications of economic activity
- Demagoguing the deficit. O'Lessker, Karl // American Spectator;Dec92, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p54
Describes the issue of the deficit and the need to control spending. President George Bush and the issue of entitlements; Medicare, Disability, and Social Security (OASDHI) paying for themselves through payroll taxes; Arguments against using OASDHI funds to reduce the deficit; Cutting benefits...
- Anti-depression economics. Heilbroner, Robert // Atlantic (02769077);Apr93, Vol. 271 Issue 4, p100
Argues that the basic cause of the recession haunting our economy today is the same as one of the chief causes of the Great Depression--the lack of an agent of `transformational growth.' John Maynard Keynes' `General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money'; Macroeconomics and microeconomics;...
- The strategy morass. Mann, P. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;4/24/89, Vol. 130 Issue 17, p9
Editorial. Discusses the lack of government strategy guiding the latest round of budget cuts and the three errors that undermine formation of US strategy.
- Economic growth and policy in the nineties. Darby, Michael R. // Business Economics;Jan1992, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p21
Discusses economic growth and policy in the United States in the 1990s. Long-run economic perspective; Underlying determinants of growth; Priorities of economic policy; Price stability; Deficit reduction and the role of national saving; Investment in human capital.
- A national savings plan. Brimmer, A.F. // Black Enterprise;Oct90, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p35
Analyzes President George Bush's proposed `Family Savings Accounts' (FSAs) as a means of improving the national savings rate. How FSAs would work; Savings impact on the economy; Effect on the growing deficit; Flaws in the proposal.
- Commercializing foreign policy? Nivola, Pietro S. // Brookings Review;Spring97, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p36
Views the American trade policy of the Clinton administration. Myth of commercial martyrdom; Clinton trade policy; Litmus test of the Clinton trade policy; Trade policy in the mid-1990s; Bad news of the trade policy in 1990s; Signs of changes on the Clinton trade policy; Role of commercial goals...
- The Month in Congress. // Congressional Digest;Mar1989, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p65
Presents excerpts from President George Bush's budget proposals made during a joint session of Congress on February 9, 1989.
- Evolution Of Legislation. // Congressional Digest;Nov89, Vol. 68 Issue 11, p258
Traces the legislative efforts to control the Federal deficit from 1917 to 1989, beginning with the Second Liberty Bond Act, through the New Deal, to Gramm-Rudman-Hollings.
- The Budget Process. // Congressional Digest;Nov89, Vol. 68 Issue 11, p261
Explains congressional budget and deficit control procedures which have been excerpted from `The Congressional Budget Process' prepared by the Senate Budget Committee. Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act; Budget process timetable for Fiscal 1989-1993; Characteristics of the budget process.