The empire strikes back
- Making the eimpire British: Scotland in the atlantic world 1542-1707. Armitage, David // Past & Present;May97, Vol. 155 Issue 1, p34
Presents information on the British empire in the eighteenth century. Identification of the countries which made up the British empire; Details on the origins of the British empire; Indepth look at the British empire.
- The British Empire. // History Today;Feb96, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p13
Opinion. Discusses the history of the British Empire. Its decline and fall; Discrimination against non-white communities; Differences between the lands which were part of the imperial structure.
- Britain is fighting a losing battle in Africa. Howe, Darcus // New Statesman;09/18/2000, Vol. 129 Issue 4504, p38
Talks about the British invasion of African nations. Purpose of the invasion of Sierra Leone; History of the African revolt against British imperialism; Characteristics of African intellectuals.
- Literary supplement: They did their best. Mortimer, Molly // Contemporary Review;Jan1997, Vol. 270 Issue 1572, p52
Reviews the book `Empire: The British Imperial Experience from 1765 to the Present,' by Denis Judd.
- History. // Gambia Country Review;2001/2002, p10
Highlights the history of Gambia. Portuguese royal heir's sale of rights to the Gambia River to English merchants in 1588; Struggle between England and France for political and commercial supremacy on Gambia; Slave trade; Establishment as British Crown Colony in 1889; Involvement of Gambian...
- India, Raj and Empire: Manuscript Collections from the National Library of Scotland. Tomlinson, B.R. // English Historical Review;Apr2011, Vol. 126 Issue 519, p462
The article reviews the website database "India, Raj and Empire: Manuscript Collections From the National Library of Scotland."
- Heartfelt. Carson, Michael // History Today;Jan2013, Vol. 63 Issue 1, p66
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Cutting the British Empire Down to Size" by Bernard Porter which appeared in the October 2012 issue.
- Empire building. Beloff, Max // History Today;Sep98, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p58
Reviews the book `The Oxford History of the British Empire,' edited by Roger Louis, Volume I, by Nicholas Canny, Volume II, by P.J. Marshall.
- GHANA: THIRTY YEARS ON. Rathbone, Richard // History Today;Mar87, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p5
Features Ghana, the first colonial state in tropical Africa to gain its independence from British colonization. Description of Ghana's economic condition prior to its independence; Factors which led to Ghana's independence; Influence of the independence of Ghana to other British colonies in Africa.