Focus on fungi
- Wild mushrooms. Hunter, B.T. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jan1989, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p8
Describes different types of wild mushrooms and gives advice on how to avoid poisoning. Amanita genus; Interactions with other substances; Diagnosis.
- Domesticated mushrooms. Hunter, B.T. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Feb1989, Vol. 72 Issue 2, p8
Describes health risks incurred from eating various species of domesticated mushrooms. Hydrazines; Increase in mushroom consumption; Different families of mushrooms.
- Foraging for mushrooms the safe, healthful way. Platzman, Andrea D. // Environmental Nutrition;Sep97, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p2
Focuses on mushrooms. Danger posed by mushroom hunting; Guide to selecting and storing; Guide to cooking and preparing; Nutritional benefits; Mushrooms in Asian folk medicine. INSETS: Mushroom nutrition, by A.D.P.;Mushroom `medicine', by A.D.P..
- The yummy truth. // FDA Consumer;Dec84/Jan85, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p12
A fickle but yummy treat. Don't listen to old wives' tales about what's safe and what isn't. Here is the truth about mushrooms and how they are cultivated commercially.
- Well-groomed mushrooms. Sanchez, Janet H. // Horticulture;Jan96, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p16
Reports that mail order kits allows horticulturist or home gardeners to grow mushrooms indoors. Mushrooms produce carbohydrates through photosynthesis; Kits shipped when close to fruiting stages; How to encourage spawn in kits.
- Identifying the fungus among us. E.B. // Medical Update;Jun96, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p1
Comments on the danger of eating wild mushrooms. High level of difficulty in distinguishing edible species from poisonous ones; Examples of poisonous mushrooms.
- Tips on hunting mushrooms. Ellis, Mike // Medical Update;Jun96, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p4
Presents mushroom hunting tips. Includes research on edible and poisonous species; Awareness that some edible mushrooms can cause allergic reactions; Warning against eating raw mushrooms; Good places to hunt for mushrooms.
- Mushrooms-Magical food and Good for You. // Medical Update;Oct99, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p3
Provides information on mushrooms.
- The truth about toadstools. Luther, S. // Ranger Rick;Sep89, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p20
Presents true facts about mushrooms, or toadstools, as they are often called. How mushrooms develop and grow; Variety of shapes; Smell; Poisonous and non-poisonous mushrooms.
- Exotic mushrooms. Lang, Joan // Restaurant Business;01/15/98, Vol. 97 Issue 2, p81
Presents cultivated and wild varieties of mushrooms in the United States including Cremini, Enoki, and Portobello. INSET: A walk on the wild side.