Welcome back, otter
- Fast facts: river otters. Duckworth, C. // Ranger Rick;Jan92, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p24
Gives information about the N. American river otter. Have stink glands full of musk; How they stay warm and clean; Habitat; Where they live; What they sound like; Fast swimmers; Diet; Use of their extra-sensitive whiskers to find fish; How they learn to swim; Tracks, other signs they leave; How...
- Playing for keeps. Tennesen, Michael // National Wildlife (World Edition);Jun/Jul93, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p32
Reveals how scientists are taking a hard look at the playful river otter and uncovering a remarkably versatile survivor. How river otters are making a comeback in the United States; Trapping, bounty hunting, pesticides and habitat loss that nearly wiped out otters; Success of repopulation...
- Otter update. // New York State Conservationist;Feb98, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p6
Reports on the release of 16 radio-equipped river otters into Lechtworth State Park in New York as part of the New York River Otter Project in 1997. Method of capturing otters for the project; Project cost; Mailing address for donations.
- Remy, The Wild Center's new young river otter, to make first appearance Monday. // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;7/29/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 178, p3
The article reports on the introduction of Remy, the Wild Center's new young river otter, on August 2, 2010 in Tupper Lake, New York.
- The River Otter. Adil, Janeen R. // Ladybug;May2001, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p27
Offers information on river otters. Description on the otters; Its favorite food; Games otters love to play.
- The comedian of America's wetlands stages a comeback. Schwartz, David M. // Smithsonian;Jun89, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p138
Focuses on the impact of the Missouri state restoration efforts of the population of the North American river otter. Description of the animal; Declining population; Efforts to curb otter trapping; Establishment of the Otter Operations Center in Missouri; Characteristics of the otter which make...
- Skagit Scientist Collaborates in Chile. // Earthwatch Institute Journal;Jun2002, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p9
Focuses on the selection of River Otters project for the conservation program of Earthwatch in Chile. Assessment of the wetland restoration in Skagit River delta; Reasons of the organization for choosing the project; Appointment of Greg Hood as project head.
- River Otters. BISHOP, GERRY // Ranger Rick;May2011, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p3
The article discusses river otters. A list of facts about otters and several photographs of otters, including one of river otter pups and their mother, are presented.
- Genetic variation among populations of river otters in North America: Considerations for... Serfass, Thomas L.; Brooks, Robert P.; Novak, James M.; Johns, Paul E.; Rhodes Jr., Olin E. // Journal of Mammalogy;Aug98, Vol. 79 Issue 3, p736
Focuses on a project which attempted to document genetic variability among populations of river otters in North America. What was used to assess variability at a number of gene loci of various river otters; Where the river otters were obtained; Number of geographic regions in which otters were...