Heat pumps go high-rise
- Cold hands, warm hearth?: Climate, net takeback, and household comfort. Schwarz, Peter M.; Taylor, Thomas N. // Energy Journal;1995, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p41
Evaluates the thermostat net takeback which is defined as the difference between takeback and enhanced comfort in household ventilation and heating. Benefits of additional insulation in reducing drafts and radiation while increasing moisture retention; Determinants of thermostats.
- Zoning offers optimum comfort and flexibility. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;3/3/97, Vol. 200 Issue 9, p3
Discusses the benefits of zoning heating and ventilation equipment in the home. Suitability to lifestyles and needs of customers; Assessment of the layout of the house and the needs of the family; Temperature presets for each zone; Custom programs for different times of the day or year. INSET:...
- Don't turn it off, modulate the water temperature. Trethewey, Richard // Contractor Magazine;Feb94, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p26
Discusses the advantages of using temperature modulation as a means of controlling a home hydronic heating system. Changing water temperature; Continuous circulation; Component cycling.
- Neat ways to heat. Holohan, Dan // Old House Journal;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p35
Features modern heating options can be used without altering the character of homes. Under-the-floor radiant heat; Planning for radiant heat; Baseboard heaters; thermostatic radiator valves; Conversion of steam into hot water. INSET: Suppliers (list)..
- Contractor radiant about floor-heating system. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;8/23/93, Vol. 189 Issue 17, p37
Reports on the heating system for Matt Sanders' two-story home. Installation of radiant tubing; Dual aquastats; Benefits of radiant floor heat; Contact information from Burnham Corp.
- How to add value to thermostat service calls. Koczor, Al // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;3/25/96, Vol. 197 Issue 13, p20
Presents suggestions to service providers on adding value to home thermostat service calls. Awareness of questions commonly asked by customers; Helping customers with programming thermostats; Explanation of technical terms to customers.
- VIEW from the Pulpit. Fletcher, Adrin // Twin Cities News (Munday, TX);8/28/2008, Vol. 26 Issue 35, p2
The author reflects on the wonders of refrigerated air conditioning and electronic programmable thermostats.
- Erratum. // Home Energy;May/Jun2007, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p5
A correction to the article "Understanding Solar-Thermal Systems," that was published in the previous issue is presented.
- Lack of preventive maintenance is a key factor in sick buildings. Sawnor, Marcia // Westchester County Business Journal;8/8/94, Vol. 33 Issue 32, p18
Discusses the relation of heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) system control to the `sick building syndrome'. Anticipation of HVAC need; Awareness of air contaminants; Lack of maintenance.