Vermicomposting in Australia and New Zealand
- Research Indicates Earthworms Can be Used to Extract Heavy Metals from Urban Refuse. // Solid Waste Report;9/10/2012, Vol. 43 Issue 15, p5
The article discusses the research by Swati Pattnaik and M. Vikram Reddy of the Department of Ecology and Environmental Sciences at Pondicherry University in Puducherry, India on how earthworm species, Eudrilis eugeniae, Eisenia fetida and Perionyx excavates can assist in urban waste composting.
- Raising worms catches on. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p49
Discusses how to raise earthworms for composting. Environmental problems created by solid waste disposal in landfills; Creation of a vermicomposting bed; Soil and water requirements.
- The business of vermicomposting. Riggle, David // In Business;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p26
Presents information on the use of earthworms in changing organic materials into high quality soil amendments. Information on vermicomposting; Details on the strategies being used by Sonoma Valley Worm Farms, Vermicycle Organics Incorporated and Ecology Farms Management Incorporated.
- Expanding horizons for commercial vermiculture Holmes, Hannah; Riggle, David // BioCycle;Oct1994, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p58
No abstract available.
- Historical overview of vermicomposting. Edwards, Clive A. // BioCycle;Jun95, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p56
Presents an overview of vermicomposting in which earthworms are utilized to break down organic residuals. Principles; Types of vermicomposting technology; Benefits and drawbacks; Development of research programs and commercial projects on vermicomposting in various countries.
- The business of vermicomposting. Riggle, David // BioCycle;Sep96, Vol. 37 Issue 9, p54
Profiles companies which use earthworms in their composting business. Handling of hog manure by Vermicycle Organics Inc.; Sale of earthworms by Sonoma Valley Worm Farms; Vermicompost as the richest natural fertilizer.
- Using earthworm systems. Edwards, Clive; Steele, Jean // BioCycle;Jul97, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p63
Reports on developments in vermicomposting in Australia and New Zealand. Interest in earthworms in Australia; Holding of regional conferences on vermiculture; Need for improved technologies and quality standards in vermicomposting; Australian sites.
- Just add worms. Kaldenbach, Robert // Yankee;Feb94, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p96
Suggests the use of earthworms in maintaining a compost out of kitchen waste. Vermiculture; Worms ideal for compost; Anatomical structure of worms that make them suitable for converting waste to compost. INSET: Mail order wrigglers, by R.K..
- The home-built wormitorium. // Yankee;Feb94, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p99
Offers suggestions on building and operating a habitat for worms called wormitorium that can be used to make compost out of kitchen waste. Cornell University's publication entitled `Composting: Wastes to Resources' by Jean Bonhotal and Marianne Krasny; Materials; Required temperature range;...