Of vanishing birds and dogs--and neckties
- PLAY THE WEATHER FOR WHITETAILS. HICKS, MARK // Bowhunting World;Aug2014, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p46
The article discusses the successful utilization of the weather in hunting and catching deer. Topics include the effect of temperature drop in the feeding of whitetailed deer, a incoming storm's impact on the animal's early search for food sources, and how winds mask a hunter's noise. It also...
- PLAN C. Erickson, Troy // Bowhunter;2006 Whitetail Special, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p110
The article offers techniques to hunt deer with a bow effectively when they remain hidden in the woods.
- RECOVERY OF LOW BULL: COW RATIOS OF MOOSE IN INTERIOR ALASKA. Young Jr., Donald D.; Boertje, Rodney D. // Alces;2008, Vol. 44, p65
During 1996-1999, hunters killed an estimated 24-30% of the pre-hunt bull moose (AIces alces) in Game Management Unit 20A. As a result, the 1999 post-hunt bull:cow ratios declined to 24:100, well below the management objective of 30:100. During 2000 and 2001 we shortened the hunting season from...
- HOW WE DID IT IN ARKANSAS. NICHOLS, JIM // Outdoor Life;Nov2015, Vol. 222 Issue 10, p9
The author presents a personal narrative of his foolish experience of using Arkansas stove in a boat without keeping an asbestos shingle under the stove and refers to hunting for ducks in Brown's Pond,Georgia, burning a hole in the boat, and his friend's attitude despite his foolishness.
- Ancient hunters may have begun global warming. // South Asian Post;7/8/2010, p9
The article reports on the results of study, conducted by the researchers of Carnegie Institution for Science in Stanford, California and led by Chris Doughty, which revealed the occurrence of global warmers by ancient mammoth hunters in North America and Russia.
- Ecology: Primates hunting leaves forest scar. // Nature;3/28/2013, Vol. 495 Issue 7442, p412
The article reports on the study by Ola Olsson at Lund University in Sweden and his colleagues, which suggests that hunting for primates may create ecological ripple effect that would make hunted regions unsuitable for animals permanently as fewer primate eats fruits and disperse seeds.
- Texas wildlife cops bag an Alberta trophy hunter. Sillars, Les; McFeely, Tom // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;11/7/94, Vol. 21 Issue 47, p28
States that Lloyd McMahon's arrest for illegally transporting white-tail deer antlers is just the latest episode in a lengthy history of scrapes with conservation officers. How he enjoys his legendary status as a white-tail deer hunting guide; How he has been the target of a string of...
- The theft of the refuge system. Speart, Jessica // Animals;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 129 Issue 1, p18
Reports on the danger of national refugee wildlife due to activities such as hunting and trapping. Controversy at Tishomingo National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) in Oklahoma; Boating restrictions at refuge lifted; Sheep and cattle grazing among controversy; NWR's provision of protection for animals;...
- Weather Or Not To Hunt. Anthony, Marc // Bowhunter;Apr/May2012, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p46
The article offers the authors insights on understanding weather patterns in hunting animals particularly whitetail deer.