Braille literacy and self-esteem: A report from Uruguay
- Braille. // World Almanac for Kids;1996, p192
Focuses on braille, a system of reading and writing for the blind that uses characters made up of raised dots. Illustration of the braille alphabet and numbers.
- Reading in braille. // Hopscotch;Feb/Mar97, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p22
Presents information on standard American braille. Comparison of braille letters to letters of the alphabet; Puzzle on braille. INSET: Courtesy rules of blindness..
- Some thoughts on learning Braille. Erin, Jane N. // Re:View;Spring92, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p3
Reflects on the learning of the Braille code. Learning of Braille by professionals who are not blind in a college course; Criticisms of attitudes of some professionals towards Braille; Suggestions for learning the Braille code and increasing public awareness of the code.
- Consideration of hand in the reading of Braille. Kozel, Robert J. // Re:View;Summer95, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p78
Provides insights on the importance of the hands in Braille reading. Prescribed way of reading Braille; Differences between fingers and hands; Effect of environment on lateralization.
- Braille. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Apr2011, Vol. 105 Issue 4, p246
The article focuses on the results of a two-year evaluation by the Braille Authority of North America of the Nemeth Uniform Braille System.
- This Mattered to Me. Amato, Sheila // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Aug2011, Vol. 105 Issue 8, p502
A review of the article "Some Thoughts on Braille," by T. S. Eliot, which appeared in the periodical "New Outlook for the Blind" in December 1952 is presented.
- Abstracts of recent literature. Edelstein, Joan E.; Schein, Jerome D. // Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development;Winter90, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p59
Presents an abstract of the study `Braille--Implications for Living,' by O. Stephens, published in the `Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness' in 1989.
- How much space does grade 2 braille really save? Durre, I.K. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;May/Jun96 Part 1 of 2, Vol. 90 Issue 3, p247
Reports on a study of a unique method for calculating the space-saving capacity of Grade 2 braille contractions and the literary braille code as a whole. Percentage of text reduction; Factors affecting space reduction.
- The development of a new standardized test of children's braille reading abilities in Britain. Greaney, J. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;May/Jun96 Part 1 of 2, Vol. 90 Issue 3, p265
Reports on the development of a standardized test of children's braille reading abilities in Great Britain. Adaptation of the Neale Analysis of Reading Ability used to test print reading ability; Precautions to ensure that the test is not biased against braille readers.