Michael Novak and Yves R. Simon on the common good and
- Capitalism is good for the soul. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;11/14/94, Vol. 21 Issue 48, p31
States that American Roman Catholic philosopher Michael Novak contends that for the state to limit some citizens' right to make money, so as to better the less fortunate, hurts more than helps the poor and is anti-Christian. How socialism, and its North American mutation, social democracy, have...
- Freedom can be fleeting. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;4/25/94, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p33
Cites an article in the April edition of `On the Issues' by Michael Novak, who says the moral and spiritual destruction unleashed by the 1960s generation may cause the 21st century to be one of great cultural crisis. Loss of intellectual and moral roots; Need to return to classic liberal democracy.
- Worth mentioning. Wilson, John // Christianity Today;10/24/94, Vol. 38 Issue 12, p107
Presents trivia on philosopher and social critic Michael Novak. Champion of laity; Deviation from Catholic anti-Communist orthodoxy; Evolution into champion of democratic capitalism in Patrick Allit's book `Catholic Intellectuals and Conservative Politics in America'; Novak's book `Belief and...
- Michael Novak. Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;1/13/95, Vol. 31 Issue 11, p8
Profiles Michael Novak, theologian for capitalism. Novak's work on the benefits of democratic capitalism; Espousal of the theology of capitalism; Background of the creation of the Institution for World Capitalism; Novak's childhood; Educational background; Political ideology, philosophy and...
- THE CHURCH AND WAR. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;2/14/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 15, p3
Reveals that American Catholic leaders are protesting the decision of U.S. ambassador to the Vatican to bring Michael Novak to Rome, Italy to argue for the morality of a preventive war in Iraq. Plans of Novak for a presentation that will clarify the just nature of U.S. policy in Iraq.
- Michael Novak... // U.S. News & World Report;3/21/94, Vol. 116 Issue 11, p20
Focuses on Michael Novak, a former seminarian who considers capitalism the political system best able to raise the poor out of poverty. Novak, an American Enterprise Institute scholar, has won the $1 million Templeton Prize for his work in the theology of economics. His comments on hearing of...
- Templeton prize given to Novak. // Christianity Today;4/4/94, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p78
Announces that writer Michael Novak, 60, a Roman Catholic lay theologian, has won the 1994 Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion. Why Novak received the prize; Past recipients.
- Cardinal predicts Novak's effort to sell Vatican on Iraq war will fail. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;2/7/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 14, p5
Reports on the prediction of Cardinal Walter Kasper, a Vatican official, that the effort of American Catholic intellectual Michael Novak to persuade the Vatican of the morality of a preventive war in Iraq will fail. Perception of the Vatican that not all avenues of peaceful negotiations and...
- A `Catholic Whig' replies. Novak, Michael // Review of Politics;Spring96, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p259
Presents the response of Michael Novak to Professor Thomas R. Rourke, who criticised his work on liberalism. Novak's views of how Rourke studied his work; Rourke's view on liberalism; Failures made by Rourke; Information on an analogous shift which occurred in the Catholic church; What the...