Counseling middle school students: Techniques that work
- Helping baby-boomers face the `90s. Pinckney, Barbara; Flagello, Jane R. // Education Digest;Nov95, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p61
Looks at ten areas that a middle-level counselor wanted to thank Reports on the launching of the Capital District Community Loan Suggests three issues that can suggest opportunities for her prme entrepreneurs. Fund, small enterprise loan program to assist residents of community colleges to help...
- A tutorial and counseling program: Helping students at risk of dropping out of school. Edmondson, Joanne H.; White, JoAnna // Professional School Counseling;Apr98, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p43
Discusses a study on the results of a tutorial program and the combination of a tutorial and counseling program on the achievement of self-esteem and good classroom behavior for middle school students at-risk of dropping out of school. Mechanics of the tutorial program; Performance of students.
- Helping adolescents to complete application forms and develop a resume: A group intervention. Freeman, John G.; Hutchinson, Nancy L. // Guidance & Counseling;Jan93, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p74
Presents details of a counselling program used to aid low-achieving students complete application forms and resumes. Components of the program are discussed; Reports of improved ability after use of an intervention; Educational implications and plans for future research.
- Effects of a guidance unit in two formats on the examination performance of underachieving middle... Rathvon, Natalie Wilson // School Counselor;Mar91, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p294
Compares the effects of an exam preparation unit offered in two guidance formats n the performance of low-achieving and underachieving middle school students. Impact of participation on the exam performance; Question of differences in exam performance between students from two difference...
- Peer counseling for middle school students experiencing family divorce: A deliberate psychological.. Sprinthall, Norman A.; Hall, Janice S. // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Apr92, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p279
Demonstrates the positive interactive effects of peer counseling for middle school students experiencing family divorce in the United States. Educational intervention; Role-taking experiences of students; Indications of giving responsibilities; Importance of developments among adolescents.
- A peer mediation model: Conflict resolution for elementary and middle school children. Lane, Pamela S.; McWhirter, J. Jeffries // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Oct92, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p15
Discusses conflict resolution for elementary and middle school students through a school peer mediation model. Definition of school peer mediation; Benefits to students and to the school; Training of staff members; Training of student peer mediators.
- Learning how to succeed academically in middle school. Gerler Jr., Edwin R.; Herndon, Eleanor Yoder // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Feb93, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p186
Discusses the theoretical basis, description and implementation of the Succeeding in School classroom program designed to improve students' academic success in the United States middle schools. Multimodal model and learning; Sessions of the group guidance unit; Significant and positive effects...
- Coping with mental illness: A program for middle school students. Henderson, Phyllis // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Feb93, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p198
Presents a middle school-based psychoeducational program on severe mental illness intended to serve as a framework for providing didactic and experiential activities to increase students' understanding about mental illness in the United States. Understanding the mental illness and community...
- Adapting Portfolios for Large-Scale Use. Simmons, Jay // Educational Leadership;Mar1990, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p28
Focuses on the adaption of portfolios for large-scale methods of assessing writing ability. Comparison of the time-tested scores with the median scores in portfolio assessment; Analysis of the portfolios of the junior grade students at the Seacoast Educational Services of Somerworth, New Hampshire.