Senate rejects widening immigrants' benefit access
- DO NOT GIVE ME YOUR TIRED, YOUR POOR! Gonzalez, Jorge G. // Eastern Economic Journal;Spring2000, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p127
Presents a study which examined the vote on National Interest Act of 1996 on immigration by the United States House. Methodology; Results; Conclusions.
- House Dems preparing for immigration reform battle. Hooper, Molly K. // Hill;5/4/2010, Vol. 17 Issue 48, p4
The article reports on the preparation of the House for an immigration bill in 2010.
- Forcing the Debate. Schneider, William // National Journal;4/1/2006, Vol. 38 Issue 13, p72
The article focuses on issues arising from the plan of the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush to reform the immigration laws. Illegal immigration is a social, economic and security issue. Enforcement is the prevailing approach of Republicans and comprehensive is the approach of...
- US immigration boom stirs call for reform. Francis, David R. // Christian Science Monitor;5/3/99, Vol. 91 Issue 109, p17
Reports on the efforts to reform immigration practices in the United States in the late 1990s. How immigrants effect employment rates; Involvement of the US House Immigration Subcommittee; Details of proposals being made such as lowering the number of immigrants allowed into the country on an...
- Affidavits of Support. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2002 Q1, p1
The article announces that the U.S. House voted to approve the Family Sponsor Immigration Act of 2001. The bill amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to allow a new sponsor for an affidavit of support when the original petitioner has died. It discusses the issue of affidavits of support....
- House bows to Clinton, passes weakened immigration law. // Human Events;10/04/96, Vol. 52 Issue 37, p4
Reports on the US House of Representatives' vote to pass an immigration reform bill that has been stripped of a amendment that would have allowed states to deny a taxpayer-funded public education to illegal aliens not already enrolled in American schools. Conservatives' criticism against...
- Asia-Pacific triangle. // America;3/19/1949, Vol. 80 Issue 24, p643
The article reports on the changes in U.S. immigration and naturalization laws under the House Resolution (HR) 199 approved by the House of Representatives on March 1, 1949 particularly one concerning people in the Asia-Pacific triangle.
- Senate Debate Nears on Immigration Bill. Powers, Mary B. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;3/6/2006, Vol. 256 Issue 9, p11
This article reports that action will soon be taken in the U.S. Senate on an immigration bill that may differ sharply from one the House passed in December. Construction officials, grappling with worker shortages, hope the final Senate version will include a provision to let immigrants stay in...
- Immigration Deal Faces Key Hurdles. Ellis, Kristi // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;5/21/2007, Vol. 193 Issue 109, p19
The article reports on the opposition of business and labor groups to an immigration deal brokered between the U.S. House of Representative and Senate. The deal was created amid deep divisions in Congress over whether illegal immigrants should be given temporary legal status leading to...