Measuring input prices for physicians: The revised Medicare Economic Index
- Study: Health care spending larger part of economy despite slower growth. // AHA News;2/10/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p1
Reports on the result of a study released by the journal 'Health Affairs' concerning Medicare and private personal health care spending in the U.S. Expected increase in health care share of gross domestic product in 2012; Factors that contribute to increased health care spending.
- Budget chairs outline plan to control health spending. K, F.. // AHA News;4/3/95, Vol. 31 Issue 14, p3
Reports on the congressional plan to curb Medicare spending in the United States. Increase in annual Medicare-spending; Views of Senate Budget Committee chairman Pete V. Domenici; Budget options; Proposals to create Medicaid block grants.
- Medical spending patterns. // AHA News;7/31/95, Vol. 31 Issue 31, p5
Discusses the Urban Institute's study indicating that Medicare and private-spending growth rates for similar medical services are closer than many people realize.
- Clinton eyes $5 dispensing fee under Medicare.... // Drug Topics;9/20/93, Vol. 137 Issue 18, p5
Focuses on drug companies' reimbursements for Medicare outpatient prescription benefit in President Bill Clinton's health care reform proposal. Percentile of actual charges by retail pharmacies; Estimated acquisition cost plus dispensing fee; Payment of Medicaid-like rebates by drug companies.
- Medicare: Usual and customary remedies will no longer work. Gokhale, Jagadeesh // Economic Commentary;04/01/97, p1
Advocates a `defined contribution' approach to save Medicare from bankruptcy in the United States. Inadequacy of cost-control remedies in rectifying the structural deficiency of the current system; Medical savings accounts; Projections of the hospital insurance trust; Per capita spending on...
- Statements to the Congress. Greenspan, Alan // Federal Reserve Bulletin;Jun98, Vol. 84 Issue 6, p429
Presents the speech given by the chairman of the Board of Governors of the US Federal Reserve System before the US Congress' National Bipartisan Commission on the Future of Medicare on April 20, 1998. Challenges of adapting Medicare to meet the country's long-term needs; Influence of technology...
- Trends in national and Medicare physician expenditures: CYs 1970-93. // Health Care Financing Review;1995 Supplement, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p90
Presents statistics on trends in national and Medicare physician expenditures in the United States for the calendar years 1970 to 1993. Total personal health care expenditures (PHCE) for physician services; Focus of efforts to restrain growth in M edicare physician spending.
- Medicare fee-for-service issues and innovations. Cotterill, Philip // Health Care Financing Review;Fall97, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p1
Presents an overview of developments in the Medicare fee-for-service (FFS) program. Effect of Medicare supplemental insurance on total Medicare utilization and costs; Attempts to inject some managed care incentives into the Medicare FFS program through the Medicare SELECT initiative; Outcome of...
- National Health Projections Through 2008. Smith, Sheila; Heffler, Stephen K.; Calfo, Stephen; Clemens, Kent; Freeland, Mark; Seifert, Mary Lee; Sensenig, Arthur; Stiller, Jean // Health Care Financing Review;Winter99, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p211
Health spending is expected to resume its rise as a share of gross domestic product (GDP) in the projection period, following 6 years of near stability, increasing from 13.5 percent in 1997 to an estimated 16.2 percent by 2008. This implies an approximate doubling of health spending, from $1.1...
- BILLING MEDICARE FOR INVESTIGATIONAL DEVICES: WHAT'S OK, WHAT'S NOT. Gardner, Jerome // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Mar97, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p50
Examines issues for health care providers affecting Medicare billing rules regarding investigational devices and procedures. Features of the results of investigation on allegations that hospitals fraudulently billed the Medicare program for investigational cardiac devices; Traditional payment...