Adopt a bluebird box
- For the birds. Cohoon, Sharon // Sunset;May97, Vol. 198 Issue 5, p181
Informs on the Orange County, California bluebird program of Dick Purvis, member of the North American Bluebird Society. Society's encouragement of the placement of bluebird nesting boxes in city parks, schoolyards, golf courses and cemeteries; Nesting boxes recorded by Purvis in 1996.
- Bringing back the bluebirds. Gehman, Jacquelyn; Amorosi, Tom // Cricket;Apr93, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p41
Discusses how to attract bluebirds. Bluebirds feed on many insects; Bluebirds are being driven from their habitat by housing developments, roadways and shopping malls; North American Bluebird Society; Volunteers called cooperators; Established bluebird trails; Protecting nesting birds from...
- To create a safe place for bluebirds, start with the correct nest box. Champlin Taylor, Susan // National Wildlife (Elearn);Aug98, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p14
Presents information on bluebirds, highlighting how people can help create a safe place for these birds. Comments from Steve Eno, a bluebird activist in Nebraska; Information on the different species of bluebirds; What a bluebird's nest box should be made of; Recommendations from the North...
- What about the other bluebirds? Turbak, Gary // National Wildlife (World Edition);Feb/Mar93, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p18
Discusses the need to focus on protection of mountain and western bluebirds as much as the eastern bluebird species. Efforts of amateur naturalist Art Aylesworth of Ronan, Montana; North American Bluebird Society (NABS); Emphasis on eastern bluebirds; Subtle variations in size, coloration and...
- Video on Signature Award will be available from N.Y. Audubon Society. // Landscape Management;Nov94, Vol. 33 Issue 11, p35
Reports that the New York Audubon Society is preparing a videotape to promote and inform organizations about the requirements and benefits of achieving `Signature Award' status. Contact information.
- Refuge on the horizon. O'Reilly, Kathleen // Audubon;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 99 Issue 5, p109
Focuses on Waccamaw Audubon Society proposal for the Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge for the area species. Why the wetland area is protected under the Clean Water Act; Comments from Jack Peachey, a former president of Waccamaw Audubon; Number of resident endangered species found in the...
- Untitled. // Nature;4/28/1994, Vol. 368 Issue 6474, p781
Reports on the charity BirdLife International's search for donations towards preserving the species of vireo, a small insectivorous bird discovered in the rainforest of the Columbian Andes in 1991. Discoverer Paul Salman; Habitat; Establishment of an endowment fund with a Colombian foundation...
- The South's Secret Snowbirds. Greer, Jennifer // Southern Living;Dec99, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p42
Deals with hummingbirds. Southern states where the hummingbirds actually spends the winter; Rare hummingbirds that the Hummer/Bird Study Group Inc. has documented; Preferred roost of the hummingbirds.
- Federation of New York State Bird Clubs Marks 50th Year. Jones, Phyllis R. // New York State Conservationist;Feb99, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p21
Presents information on the 50th anniversary of Federation of New York State Bird Clubs in 1998. How the organization was founded; Publication of the book `Bull's Birds of New York State'; Information on the newsletter `New York Bidders.'